FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

explain meth to me.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Ok first thing,
Does the truck run into knock on the first pass down the track?
I am not a tuner so alls I see is greek. LOL
Do not waste your time with a intercooler spray bar. Your best bet if you are trying to run the same times and round robin while at the track is water/meth injection.
Also look into removing the front head light, (if possible) and installing a scoop to direct fresh direct air into the box below the air filter. we can help with that one...
Also 8" suck fan would do this a little good while sitting still to keep air moving throu the IC.
I have old nitrous parts laying around, hint hint.

later
Old 03-29-2008, 06:11 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I saw in your scan that it wasn't burst knock retard, either. Hurry up and fix your computer.
As far as the temps go, 03sierraslt made a good point about it going up too fast. I noticed that my IATs zoomed last summer, more so at the end of a run than cruising, when I moved my air filter because of the air it was breathing in the engine compartment was much hotter than the air that the stock filter breathes.
Where does your's breathe from?

well i got a new filter and just ploped it onto the end of the turbo. so it probably sucks form the hotest part of the eng bay it could lol. i plan to move it just need a 4"ID elbow thought about even making a hole in the plate that the fliter box sits on and take it down under. but prolly just 4" elbow it to behind the head light and take the head light out for race days.

Originally Posted by LBSBLOWN
BTW how did you save that HPT scanner file as a .JPG, I had to print screen mine and save as a .doc
i'm not sure why my maf is so irratic. i wish i could figure that one out. thought about hooking up a shop vac output to the ic piping and checking for any little leaks.

i did an alt print screen paste to paint and hit save.

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Ok first thing,
Does the truck run into knock on the first pass down the track?
I am not a tuner so alls I see is greek. LOL
Do not waste your time with a intercooler spray bar. Your best bet if you are trying to run the same times and round robin while at the track is water/meth injection.
Also look into removing the front head light, (if possible) and installing a scoop to direct fresh direct air into the box below the air filter. we can help with that one...
Also 8" suck fan would do this a little good while sitting still to keep air moving throu the IC.
I have old nitrous parts laying around, hint hint.

later
well i may have figured some of it out. some but not all. it does the same KR on the streets. i think it maybe from locking the TCC. the first runs at the track i had no KR. then i locked the tcc at 80ish and it started poping up but i also added timing at the same time. so it may be too much load and timing. so maybe i should lower the timing a touch and unlock the tcc. i wish hpt could pull timing for per gear that would be great. i tok the ole box off and got a filter but its almost up against the rad so its in a bad spot i know. so i'll see about getting a 4" elbow for the filter. i'm thinking about looking into the fans and some side shrouds. got to go slow with it all as i don't have a ton of money at the moment and i'm going to the dessert soon. pm me about some of the old parts you have. i just need to be your test dummy for cool ideas you have lol.

Last edited by 4.8T; 03-29-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=2kewl;3885266]Rumor has it you can get it at Walmart.

I see all Snow Performance stuff in this thread - Opinions on Coolingmist etc? I am asking since water/meth will be my next mod - smaller SC pulley maybe too.

I had a Snow kit running 50/50 and WW fluid, but the pump got stuck full on and almost hydro-locked my motor. Their system wasn't compatible with 100% meth unless u bot braided lines, they may have added this since I last looked however. Alot of the ricer crowd use cooling mist, and they have a great rep, and solid boost controller. I now have an AlkyControl and many on here also use it. Cost is ~$450 and comes with a new WW reservoir to replace ur stocker. R/
Old 03-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

I still dont get your MAF readings, they are very off the wall. I have never seen a WO MAF frequency bounce like that. It should closely follow throttle position as for increases and decreases. Somethings F'd up, wonder if you MAF is screwed up for some reason? Hint, Hint 2barSD.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

My MAF did that too, one idea that came up was that it was too close to a bend in the piping, not giving enough straight-away for the airflow to settle. My response was why does it not have that problem in the stock location. I never figured it out, but I don't use it anymore anyway.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DOMLS2
any speedshop has 5,55,gal jugs of pure meth.i buy mine at s-k speed. i mix 50/50 in my own can.run stright only at the track.pure meth takes off seal on gears in side.they said to run 50/50.
bring your empty cans with you to e-town its much cheaper than the 65 or so a can at s-k if I remember right it was like 3 bucks a gallon or somethin ridiculous.

I've run straight for 8K miles on the 346 in my boost car and it was fine when we freshened it end of the season last year....Every fitting needs to be brass on the lines into the motor though.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=dhpro;3885656]
Originally Posted by 2kewl
Rumor has it you can get it at Walmart.

I see all Snow Performance stuff in this thread - Opinions on Coolingmist etc? I am asking since water/meth will be my next mod - smaller SC pulley maybe too.

I had a Snow kit running 50/50 and WW fluid, but the pump got stuck full on and almost hydro-locked my motor. Their system wasn't compatible with 100% meth unless u bot braided lines, they may have added this since I last looked however. Alot of the ricer crowd use cooling mist, and they have a great rep, and solid boost controller. I now have an AlkyControl and many on here also use it. Cost is ~$450 and comes with a new WW reservoir to replace ur stocker. R/
the boosted vette is on an alkycontrol dual nozzle system
Old 03-30-2008, 05:58 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
My MAF did that too, one idea that came up was that it was too close to a bend in the piping, not giving enough straight-away for the airflow to settle. My response was why does it not have that problem in the stock location. I never figured it out, but I don't use it anymore anyway.

i remember reading about this on hpt forum. something about the maf is made to be sucked through not blown through. which almost makes since when you look at the two guys so far with smooth lines have superchargers that suck through and my turbo blows through and it looks like your whipple blows through also.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Junk the MAF and run a SD tune. I run straight meth when I am at the track. Never seen knock with it on.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:35 AM
12 Second Truck Club

i plan on going sd but i have to wait till i get back from the afganistan. hopefully i'll have more money.

Quick Reply: explain meth to me.