FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

FI catch can PCV system

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI catch can PCV system

Ok I need to get back to work on my old truck and one of the things I need to wrap up is a catch can. I picked one up but just want to make sure I install it correctly the 1st time. There are about 1000 ways to do this and it gets really confusing so please bear with me.

What my idea was to run the drivers side PCV valve to the can, then the can to the intake mani. While reading I have seen some people just vent the oil fill cap on the passenger side and I guess leave the little tube that connects the TB to the valve cover. Should I do the same or can I use a T fitting and connect the passenger side valve cover to the driver side, into the can then into the mani with some sort of check valve? Ive also read that people will get vaccum source pre turbo also.

The biggest question I have is...

What is the correct PCV valve to use? I know I need a one way valve and some just have a metered orifice.

What check valve should I use if I tie each valve cover together?

Thanks for the input...
Old 06-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I ran both valve covers to the can andcapped the intake manifold and port on the throttle body. It was the simplest way and got rid of the valve all together
Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

My system was mainly to stop crank case pressure buildup and puking the dipstick out. There wasn't any vacuum on the system. But always changed the oil so much it was never a problem. Just my two pennies worth.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I ran both valve covers to the can andcapped the intake manifold and port on the throttle body. It was the simplest way and got rid of the valve all together
I take it your catch can was vented to atmosphere, correct?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Yes I use a moroso can from summit with a breather
Old 06-16-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes I use a moroso can from summit with a breather
The one I have doesnt have a breather, but I suppose I can install it the way you have it, and just get vacuum source for the inlet of the turbo?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

We're floatin' in the same boat... I have read, read, and read, and have yet to see a definite answer to what the best option is other than swapping to the LS6 valley cover which is out of the question for me... Have you tried searching on tech? There's tons of threads about it over there, seems like no two are the same though lol
Old 06-16-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
We're floatin' in the same boat... I have read, read, and read, and have yet to see a definite answer to what the best option is other than swapping to the LS6 valley cover which is out of the question for me... Have you tried searching on tech? There's tons of threads about it over there, seems like no two are the same though lol
Haha yeah I thought I had it all figured out, then I went over on tech and got even more confused I like the idea Ben has, seems simple and effective.

Im just curious that if I tie each valve cover together then go into the can, should I pull vacuum off the turbo intake seeing its not going to be vented to atmosphere?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Check this out since you have a sealed catch can, it's one I'm looking at running.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

My system was mainly to stop crank case pressure buildup and puking the dipstick out. There wasn't any vacuum on the system. But always changed the oil so much it was never a problem. Just my two pennies worth.
Ditto for my system. I posted some photos on 02'Z71ONDUBZ earlier pcv posting:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=464172

Rick

Quick Reply: FI catch can PCV system