FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Finally Found An AWD Dyno - What Do You Think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015 | 08:15 PM

Hey, it looks great! That's a long time and a lot of $ so it must be worth it. Congrats on finally enjoying your truck!
Old 04-15-2015 | 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any updates on this?
Old 04-16-2015 | 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by supermaro
Any updates on this?
It breaths again. Received the blower back last week from Whipple, $1600 for the rebuild with new jack shaft.

I am enjoying the ride again once it warms up. Still working through some idle surging issues when its cold. I posted a scan and tune up on HPTuners forum but no one has replied.

Frustrating being so close.
Old 04-16-2015 | 10:00 PM

Post them here. We can help.
Old 04-17-2015 | 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Post them here. We can help.
Here you go.

Some back ground on the setup, its a 2003 Escalade, the block is a LQ9 that has a 58x reluctor and 4x cam. Its running a 2009 Express Van E38/T42 controller.

The issue is surging and sputtering off idle when cold or being first started even when hot. From what I see from my scans is my spark advance at idle and when coming off idle when first started looks like a saw tooth. In order to make the vehicle drivable the Spark>Idle Adaptive Spark Control>Spark Limiters>Spark Ramp Out>Spark Minimum table to 12 degrees.

With that it seems like the timing likes to drop to 12 degrees and just sit there until I throttle through it or come to a complete stop for a few seconds which results in sputtering and idle surging. Once it gets to 175 degrees the problem seems to go away but if I shut it off even just for a minute the issue is there until I drive for about 5 minutes.

I've played with the adaptive idle, Open/Closed Loop and Idle Airflow and its cleaned up some but it wont go away. Mid throttle and open throttle feel good but I think the mid throttle can be cleaned up a little more.

Hopefully someone can give me direction, feel free to ask any questions or if I need to do a specific scan.

Thanks

Paul
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
04.14.2015.hpl (1.47 MB, 63 views)
File Type: cfg
Default Imperial Paul.cfg (2.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 04-17-2015 | 09:20 AM

Damn... I dont have as much experience with the newer PCM. Let me taker a look.
Old 06-03-2015 | 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Just wanted to share. I finally got this figured out. With the help of a HPTuners cfg that logged everything spark advance related I was able to see that Torque Mgt Advance was causing it.

My system has all Torque Mgt removed so I wasn't sure what to think. I Googled Torque Mgt Advance and a couple of HPtuners post came up and one of them talked about a similar issue and it said that for some reason the E38 PCM does some weird stuff when Torque Mgt is completely removed. It advised to put the Tranny Abuse mode settings back to stock.

I put the Abuse mode settings back to stock and Viola, no more Torque Mgt Advance in my scans and my sputtering idle issue is now gone. I actually only had to change back the Abuse Mode Reduction Duration so all the other settings are 0% reduction.

I have been chasing this thing since October and last night I finally got a good nights sleep.

Now its time for less important issues to hit my Give a Crap Meter.
Old 06-03-2015 | 12:44 PM

Is it running well otherwise? Have you had it at the track? Are you still at 12.5 lbs? What size pulley are you running?
Old 06-03-2015 | 12:51 PM
Admin

I've heard that also but never actually seen it. Interesting.
Old 06-03-2015 | 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Yes it is running pretty smooth and solid, playing around with some different timing curves really smoothed things out a lot. The sputtering only happened on initial take offs but after that the normal driving feels almost like a stock vehicle for what it is.

Smooth takes off and shifts, I spent a lot of time dialing in my transmission shifts to up/downshift exactly how I like it.

Still no track but I am getting closer.

I am currently running a 3" pulley and for the most part at WOT I am just about 12. When I put the 2.75" on I get ~14 and it is a completely different vehicle to drive. The 3" feels good for daily driving, still fast and don't feel like I'm pushing her so hard.

Quick Reply: Finally Found An AWD Dyno - What Do You Think?