FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Finally got the Whipple installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally got the Whipple installed!!

Finally got it installed this weekend. Turned out being an all nite project. Installing the actual blower was fairly easy compared to all the crap leading up to bolting the whipple on the engine. I had a few snags and still haven't taken it for a ride. I decided to change the T-Stat to a 160 and Summit sent me the wrong stat. I had taken the stat housing off and was trying to figure out how to change stats....I ended up breaking to old one......then went online and learned that my stat required the housing and stat together.... and then checking part numbers I learned that Summit sent me an 04 stat which are different than one for an 02.

So..called Summit today...they are shipping new stat 2nd day....still...I didn't want to drive around and risk overheating w/o a stat in there. Cranked it up and it sounds great...revved a few times to hear the whipple...can't wait to take it out and drive.....

Other than my T-Stat mishap...install was pretty straight forward just time consuming. Once you're into it you really can't stop.....

Got my Walbro installed but couldn't track down the right fuel pump trigger wire for the relay. Thought I had it, then turn the key on but my the walbro doesn't shut off. So,,, I need to track down the right gray wire. Truck idles with 55 lbs of FP w/o the walbro powered up.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good job man!!! Your going to have loads of fun once it is on the road!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Let the boost begin.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:53 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YeeHaw! Lookin' good!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Banned

how much boost can that thing put out is that the same s/c tha ranwalk had before the upgrade
Old 09-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Banned

how much boost can that thing put out is that the same s/c tha ranwalk had before the upgrade
Old 09-19-2006, 11:52 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Nice work man, that willwake up that GEN 3 for sure.

peace
Hog
Old 09-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys....for those who haven't done it yet...it is a bit of work of for a "bolt on". Two days later and I'm still feeling sore muscles....

Originally Posted by litreddevil
Per whipple's website, I believe I have the 2.3 ltr blower, # W140AX. The blower is rated at a maximum of 30 psi and can spin up to 16,000 rpms. Now, I'm sure I don't believe I could run 30 psi w/o breaking parts off left and right. I think it's just maximum engineering specs for that blower......I don't even think you could get a pulley setup to spin it that fast on a GENIII engine. Then I don't have an intercooler, so I'm probably good for up to 10psi before detonation problems start hitting.

Whipple Blower Specs
Old 09-19-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by duplantisjj
Thanks guys....for those who haven't done it yet...it is a bit of work of for a "bolt on". Two days later and I'm still feeling sore muscles....
Yup, my chest was sore for a week from leaning over the core support.

Originally Posted by duplantisjj
Then I don't have an intercooler, so I'm probably good for up to 10psi before detonation problems start hitting.
I am at 7psi and I have IAT's in the 200+ range when I run WOT for more than 10 seconds. The outside (ambient) temps were 82*. I would bet 10psi would put you in the 250* range or more....which is a little over 100* from where you wanna be.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
I am at 7psi and I have IAT's in the 200+ range when I run WOT for more than 10 seconds. The outside (ambient) temps were 82*. I would bet 10psi would put you in the 250* range or more....which is a little over 100* from where you wanna be.
I've seen 80 deg temps twice in 13 years up here in Alaska. But still, I'm thinking about 6 or 7 psi is where I'll be happy. Looking at buying an F-Body next for a second car....I think, I hope, I pray I'm done with my truck....but as most here know....I never ends....

I could never have installed the Whipple w/o tips from PT net or FSC. So many little things that the manuals leave out.

Quick Reply: Finally got the Whipple installed!!