FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Finally got the Whipple installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dejavu!! Except I took the easy way out & had the mechanic do it (still took him 2 days). My whipple is in & I've been driving it lightly, but the 160* thermo & walbro are on order. Does run warmer without the 160* thermo (right at about 200-205*), but haven't heard any knock. Hope to get it wrapped up this week & get the dynotune right after. Was supprised how quiet the new generation whipple is; really can't hear it at all. It's been very hard keeping my foot out of it!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by litreddevil
how much boost can that thing put out is that the same s/c tha ranwalk had before the upgrade
Yep, thats the same one I was running. Actual "boost" will be limited to the size engine your trying to feed and other mods,exhaust, cam,head work....
I had a 3 inch pully on mine that peaked at 10psi. That same pulley would have been around 14 psi on a stock 6.0.

Congrats and enjoy the new found power
Old 09-19-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ranwalk

Is the procharger an upgrade? What differences do you see with the new setup.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

I know prior to my intercooler I seen IAT's as high as 220 on a 90 or so degree day.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jamesbond2509
Ranwalk

Is the procharger an upgrade? What differences do you see with the new setup.

Yes, big time upgrade. The D1SC will support 925fwhp, It's intercooled, running a 4 inch pulley I see 13psi peak boost and once I get this small cam out of here that was originally ground for the whipple I should see over 600rwhp. It doesnt build boost as fast as a twin screw but is capable of making alot more power than any of the current roots, twin screw chargers available for our trucks at the moment. I'm nowhere near using the full potential of the D1. I can eventually push the D1SC procharger to a little over 700rwhp before I would need to ugrade to a larger blower.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The limiting factor in the Gen-III single-belt Whipple system is that the size of the pulley cannot be decreased very much because of the front hub inside of it. There really isn't any clearance to go much smaller.

The supercharger you have is a Lysholm 2300AX. Due to increases in the production of factory-supercharged vehicles based on Lysholm's products, Whipple's supply of those superchargers was cut off. They now make their own and that comparable product is called the W140AX.

The compressor you have is capable of supporting 800HP. The challenges are building an engine and drivetrain to handle it, and spinning the supercharger 2.75x faster than the crank.

Start putting some green aside for FLT, you'll be in contact with them soon enough!

Last edited by James B.; 09-21-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:42 AM
Staging Lane

Default Finally a test ride!!!

Finally got it all together, new hypertech 160 t-stat, got the Walbro wired properly and all ready to go.

First thing I notice is there's constant whining sound under the hood. Gets louder with more foot down on the pedal. I have a quieter Gibson exhaust. If the whipple is supposed to be quiet, I guess the Radix must be pretty loud. I drove easy for about 15 min just to make sure everything was tight. Keeping an eye on FP, A/F, etc. Then finally I had to get down on it to see if I was getting boost. I jumped up to 5 psi towards the end of first gear and man it pulled really hard.

I headed home and was gonna take it easy...but this damn Black Hemi caught me at the light....he worked to get next me swerving in front of the car in the left lane....then started revving me at the light.....I couldn't resist..1st challenger to the whipple...wasn't really a race...we both hit it..and I just walked away..and I didn't really nail it in 1st cuz I didn't wanna spin tires...by mid to the end of 2nd gear I was at least 3 lenghts ahead.....and boost hitting 6psi....and definitely hearing the whipple talk...

Funny thing is the guy that sold me this Whipple said he could never get more than 4psi out of it. He ditch the whipple craptronics and used HPtuners. But he didn't know about the active boost bypass fix......Getting 6psi must mean I got it right.

So far,,,I'm pretty happy with the install and the results.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:15 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by duplantisjj
Thanks guys....for those who haven't done it yet...it is a bit of work of for a "bolt on". Two days later and I'm still feeling sore muscles....

Per whipple's website, I believe I have the 2.3 ltr blower, # W140AX. The blower is rated at a maximum of 30 psi and can spin up to 16,000 rpms. Now, I'm sure I don't believe I could run 30 psi w/o breaking parts off left and right. I think it's just maximum engineering specs for that blower......I don't even think you could get a pulley setup to spin it that fast on a GENIII engine. Then I don't have an intercooler, so I'm probably good for up to 10psi before detonation problems start hitting.

Whipple Blower Specs
Try changing the turbo on a duramax with a 6'' lift!!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by duplantisjj
Finally got it all together, new hypertech 160 t-stat, got the Walbro wired properly and all ready to go.

First thing I notice is there's constant whining sound under the hood. Gets louder with more foot down on the pedal. I have a quieter Gibson exhaust. If the whipple is supposed to be quiet, I guess the Radix must be pretty loud. I drove easy for about 15 min just to make sure everything was tight. Keeping an eye on FP, A/F, etc. Then finally I had to get down on it to see if I was getting boost. I jumped up to 5 psi towards the end of first gear and man it pulled really hard.

I headed home and was gonna take it easy...but this damn Black Hemi caught me at the light....he worked to get next me swerving in front of the car in the left lane....then started revving me at the light.....I couldn't resist..1st challenger to the whipple...wasn't really a race...we both hit it..and I just walked away..and I didn't really nail it in 1st cuz I didn't wanna spin tires...by mid to the end of 2nd gear I was at least 3 lenghts ahead.....and boost hitting 6psi....and definitely hearing the whipple talk...

Funny thing is the guy that sold me this Whipple said he could never get more than 4psi out of it. He ditch the whipple craptronics and used HPtuners. But he didn't know about the active boost bypass fix......Getting 6psi must mean I got it right.

So far,,,I'm pretty happy with the install and the results.
Im calling absolute on this one!!! Dont think for one second we believe you were just minding your own business with a new Whipple under the hood. You were looking for some one to race, huh? huh? Am i right? Dont be ashamed to admit it......you probably pulled off on the side of the road and tried to time the light turning red so you could be first in line. ...

Congrats on the new setup!
Old 09-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
Im calling absolute on this one!!! Dont think for one second we believe you were just minding your own business with a new Whipple under the hood. You were looking for some one to race, huh? huh? Am i right? Dont be ashamed to admit it......you probably pulled off on the side of the road and tried to time the light turning red so you could be first in line. ...

Congrats on the new setup!
Haha- BUSTED

Quick Reply: Finally got the Whipple installed!!