FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

FM turbo guys: anyone still 3" exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cjg454ss
i guess its just what you want to do with your truck. if you want a optimized, loud droaning turbo/supercharged truck that makes 500rwhp and weighs 2 1/2 tons thats cool.

personally i want a stock sounding truck with a turbo that will tow like a diesel. i mean honesly these trucks with a 3inch or 5 inch exhaust are not going to be fast. yes maybe run a low 7 in the 1/8, but thats not fast. and the money spent could be used in a lighter vehicle and go much faster.
I think you may have entered the wrong address in the URL bar, this is performancetrucks.net, I think you were looking for ls1tech possibly...

I think you may have missed where there are quite a few trucks in the 8s and 9s now(in the quarter)
Old 01-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Jeez I really hate blanket statements like this. I can think of one vehicle recently that netted nearly 20 rwhp at the same boost level by going from 3" to 4" at only ~500 rwhp. There is a big difference between adequate and optimized.
The ?? Was is it enough..Not what do I need. ok so your 1 vehicle is cool WOW.. for that( the OP) kind of hp 3'' is fine, Dyno's can be made hp happy.. To the ave guy it will not be a diff... If he has 3'', switching to 4 will not be nothing better on the *** meter..

Last edited by Mangled03gmc; 01-02-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess its just what you want to do with your truck. if you want a optimized, loud droaning turbo/supercharged truck that makes 500rwhp and weighs 2 1/2 tons thats cool.

personally i want a stock sounding truck with a turbo that will tow like a diesel. i mean honesly these trucks with a 3inch or 5 inch exhaust are not going to be fast. yes maybe run a low 7 in the 1/8, but thats not fast. and the money spent could be used in a lighter vehicle and go much faster.
Wtf??
Old 01-02-2011, 04:33 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

o have 3.5" on mine. cause i had the extra tubing ..... and i didnt feel like buying more!

3" is all you need.... 3.5 is overkill
Old 01-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
Wtf??
i just figured being a truck, you would ad the power to help towing, personally i have never seen a 4500lb vehicle that was fast. id rather put the money in a 2800lb car and go real faast.

i use my truck for towing and hauling. it hauls my race car. i could dump a ton of money into it to make it faster but it would never come close to my race car... so whats the point?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Id rather have a 4500 lb truck that would crush that 2800lb car down the track.... Then tow that "race car" home. Just my preference.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:36 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by brent1976
Who drives there truck around on the street with the boost cranked high enough to need bigger exhaust. When I run 12psi it's way to much to drive around with unless it's in 4wd, let alone 16psi.
I do with my truck, same with my cars. It's all a compromise with what somebody can put up with for noise, etc. If it's too loud, put more mufflers on it.

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
The ?? Was is it enough..Not what do I need. ok so your 1 vehicle is cool WOW.. for that( the OP) kind of hp 3'' is fine, Dyno's can be made hp happy.. To the ave guy it will not be a diff... If he has 3'', switching to 4 will not be nothing better on the *** meter..
Are you seriously trying to rip on me for not agreeing that 3" is fine by saying that my 1 vehicle is cool? What are we 15 years old? I've seen the power increases by switching up exhaust sizes many times but of course it all depends on the layout of the exhaust system, turbo size, etc. You can ignore my advice if you want but don't act like it isn't accurate.

If you size your exhaust to match your turbo outlet you are creating backpressure and reducing power, Period. If you have a 3" exhaust outlet on the turbo you should do minimum 3.5" back depending on how many bends you have in the exhaust and it you have a lot of bends it should be 4". Of course people can make power with a 3" catback but what could it be if it was bigger to eliminate that backpressure? It's all a compromise with what somebody is willing to put up with as far as noise goes. I have two mufflers on my truck and four on my GTO for this very reason, big exhaust for no compromise but i do like it quieter and they are with multiple mufflers. Spool time is decreased, it makes more power per psi, and the decreased backpressure makes it less susceptible to detonation.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:37 AM
9 Second Club

i just figured being a truck, you would ad the power to help towing, personally i have never seen a 4500lb vehicle that was fast. id rather put the money in a 2800lb car and go real faast.

i use my truck for towing and hauling. it hauls my race car. i could dump a ton of money into it to make it faster but it would never come close to my race car... so whats the point?
The point is you are on the wrong forum if all you care about is towing from your truck. People are obviously trying to make their trucks faster, thus the name of the forum.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
I do with my truck, same with my cars. It's all a compromise with what somebody can put up with for noise, etc. If it's too loud, put more mufflers on it.

Are you seriously trying to rip on me for not agreeing that 3" is fine by saying that my 1 vehicle is cool? What are we 15 years old? I've seen the power increases by switching up exhaust sizes many times but of course it all depends on the layout of the exhaust system, turbo size, etc. You can ignore my advice if you want but don't act like it isn't accurate.

If you size your exhaust to match your turbo outlet you are creating backpressure and reducing power, Period. If you have a 3" exhaust outlet on the turbo you should do minimum 3.5" back depending on how many bends you have in the exhaust and it you have a lot of bends it should be 4". Of course people can make power with a 3" catback but what could it be if it was bigger to eliminate that backpressure? It's all a compromise with what somebody is willing to put up with as far as noise goes. I have two mufflers on my truck and four on my GTO for this very reason, big exhaust for no compromise but i do like it quieter and they are with multiple mufflers.
Yes I am.. 3'' is fine for what he is looking to do
Old 01-02-2011, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Yes I am.. 3'' is fine for what he is looking to do
It may be fine for what he is looking to do but don't go around making blanket statements like "3" is fine for 600 hp, nuff said" because technically it's not and there are gains to be had by going bigger even at lower horsepower ranges. People parrot so much misinformation on these forums it's ridiculous.

Quick Reply: FM turbo guys: anyone still 3" exhaust?