FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

FM turbo guys: anyone still 3" exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poly wants a cracker.. It is a huge **** fest..
Old 01-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
It may be fine for what he is looking to do but don't go around making blanket statements like "3" is fine for 600 hp, nuff said" because technically it's not and there are gains to be had by going bigger even at lower horsepower ranges. People parrot so much misinformation on these forums it's ridiculous.
Nic, dont let him get to you. I believe everyone on this forum who frequents it knows you know youre stuff and have a lot of valuable knowledge. All he has is his opinion to back up his stance while you have first hand knowledge, multiple times.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cjg454ss
i just figured being a truck, you would ad the power to help towing, personally i have never seen a 4500lb vehicle that was fast. id rather put the money in a 2800lb car and go real faast.

i use my truck for towing and hauling. it hauls my race car. i could dump a ton of money into it to make it faster but it would never come close to my race car... so whats the point?
Do you consider an 8 sec pass fast? What about a mid 9 second pass in a 4wd street truck that all was done was a tire swap at the track? What about the other half dozen 9second trucks and countless 10 second trucks. With enough money people can make anything fast and its painfully obvious youre on the wrong forum.

Sure you can make a car fast easier, no one will deny that, but when I had my stroker motor and actually had a decently quick truck, the look on sports car drivers faces as a 5400# Z71 passed them was priceless. Its nice to have a vehicle that can haul *** then take you out to the deer lease pulling a trailer with all the equipment. Can your camaro do that?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
I do with my truck, same with my cars. It's all a compromise with what somebody can put up with for noise, etc. If it's too loud, put more mufflers on it.
My truck is about half as loud with the turbo as it was with lts. I wasn't saying that it is too loud, I was saying that I don't dd my truck on high boost all the time. Most of the time I drive with the boost controller off @ 8.5-9 psi. Like I said before at 12 psi on the dyno the cutout being open didn't make a difference that could be seen. At 16 psi it only made a few noticeable hp, 620-623 closed, 627-629 open, consistently on a quite a few runs. On all of the runs we let the aits cool to 100* to be consistent. I don't know the difference in flow between a full 4" exhaust, and 3' of 3", but my cutout open has to flow way better than my full exhaust does.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cjg454ss
i just figured being a truck, you would ad the power to help towing, personally i have never seen a 4500lb vehicle that was fast. id rather put the money in a 2800lb car and go real faast.

i use my truck for towing and hauling. it hauls my race car. i could dump a ton of money into it to make it faster but it would never come close to my race car... so whats the point?
Oh yea, and this guy is in the wrong place to be saying there is no point in making trucks fast. I love the fact that I can drive around in busy traffic for an hour, and maybe see 1 or 2 cars that I thought might be as fast as my truck.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Wow! This post went to sh*t in a hurry. Time for a Moderater to lock it down.

I believe the OP asked if his 3" would be okay. It will be fine. There are plenty of fast trucks and cars with a 3" single. Is there better exhaust systems that could be more efficient, maybe make a little more power, possibly flow well while keeping the droning down to a minimum, let the turbo to spool a little faster? Of course there are.

Optimized and loud/droning/obnoxious are not the same thing. A well designed exhaust doesn't have to be restrictive or loud.

Rick
Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Nic, dont let him get to you. I believe everyone on this forum who frequents it knows you know youre stuff and have a lot of valuable knowledge. All he has is his opinion to back up his stance while you have first hand knowledge, multiple times.

Really??? where's your head at, oh yah.. How many people on this forum has made big power with 3'' pipes?? Quite a few have.. The 3'' will work for what he is doing. He did not ask if it would make X amount of HP. So fact is it will surly work for what he wants to do..
Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by Rick_Vor
Wow! This post went to sh*t in a hurry. Time for a Moderater to lock it down.

I believe the OP asked if his 3" would be okay. It will be fine. There are plenty of fast trucks and cars with a 3" single. Is there better exhaust systems that could be more efficient, maybe make a little more power, possibly flow well while keeping the droning down to a minimum, let the turbo to spool a little faster? Of course there are.

Optimized and loud/droning/obnoxious are not the same thing. A well designed exhaust doesn't have to be restrictive or loud.

Rick
Old 01-02-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for all the posts guys, really. And i am sorry it provoked such a stir, but i have come to the conclusion that at MY power level the 3" will be sufficient but maybe leaving a few horses behind that i can be ok with for a while..... I would like to know with KB's kit on a RCSB if the down pipe is straight enough and if there is enough room to go with "STRAIGHT" 3" pipe with no bends and dump at axle??? In other words buy a stick of pipe and install without a muffler shop or bends involved??
Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Baltimore Whore

Best bet would be PM KB and see what he says From the tranny member back to the axle is with out a doubt a straight shot. I am sure you could buy a 45, 90deg bends, make it work.. But always good to know what your getting into before hand..

Quick Reply: FM turbo guys: anyone still 3" exhaust?