FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Forged Pistons option for LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forged Pistons option for LQ4

I have a bone stock LQ4 that I want to upgrade my pistons and maybe my rods for a turbo application. I crushed two ring lands with a bad tune. I don't plan on running more than about 15 psi of boost so I don't think I need to change my CR. My engine has the floating wrist pins not the pressed in ones if that matters.

Does anybody have part numbers or recommendations for me or a vendor that would have this information? I don't plan on sending the block to the machine shop I'm just looking for standard replacements. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check into wiesco or Diamond.. They are prob the most popular choices.. There are plenty of other good names out there, be these 2 are among the most commonly heard.. give TSP a call.. Whats up to a fellow Md'er
Old 04-25-2011, 04:07 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I am going with autotecs, company started and operated by the original owner of JE pistons, which is an excellent reputation in the top performance market. Good price too. Wiseco, diamond, mahle, there are a few good pistons out there. I would at least dingle hone it if you are putting new pistons and rings in there...
Old 04-25-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would at least have it honed and do 4.005" pistons.
any of the above listed names will work.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Okay I know this might be a dumb question but would I have have the entire rotating assembly balanced or could I just have the pistons balanced?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:09 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Whole assembly
Old 04-26-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joeyc125
whole assembly
x2....
Old 04-26-2011, 08:22 PM
11 Second Truck Club

In my opinion, the right way is the only way when you do this stuff. Its one thing to run a junkyard motor with a turbo, but if you are putting any money into the bottom end, do it right or don't do it at all. New pistons and rings in glazed cylinders is going to give a horrible ring seal, not balancing the rotating assembly is asking for trouble, and 15psi with a decent combo of supporting parts is nothing to sneeze at, many people have destroyed good motors with much less power. Also, those stock ls2 style rods are pretty strong, but they are heavy, that will make for a little sluggish feeling as far as rpm response, scat I-beams are $300, stronger and lighter than what you have. I have the same engine as you (06 lq4 with a cracked ring land) and am building it for pretty much the same thing you are. I have talked to a very reputable engine builder about it, and am confident in what he is setting me up with. Pm me if you want some more info.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joeyc125
In my opinion, the right way is the only way when you do this stuff. Its one thing to run a junkyard motor with a turbo, but if you are putting any money into the bottom end, do it right or don't do it at all. New pistons and rings in glazed cylinders is going to give a horrible ring seal, not balancing the rotating assembly is asking for trouble, and 15psi with a decent combo of supporting parts is nothing to sneeze at, many people have destroyed good motors with much less power. Also, those stock ls2 style rods are pretty strong, but they are heavy, that will make for a little sluggish feeling as far as rpm response, scat I-beams are $300, stronger and lighter than what you have. I have the same engine as you (06 lq4 with a cracked ring land) and am building it for pretty much the same thing you are. I have talked to a very reputable engine builder about it, and am confident in what he is setting me up with. Pm me if you want some more info.
You are correct my friend and I will keep you in mind if I decide to step my game up. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:32 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rockoosi1
I have a bone stock LQ4 that I want to upgrade my pistons and maybe my rods for a turbo application. I crushed two ring lands with a bad tune. I don't plan on running more than about 15 psi of boost so I don't think I need to change my CR. My engine has the floating wrist pins not the pressed in ones if that matters.

Does anybody have part numbers or recommendations for me or a vendor that would have this information? I don't plan on sending the block to the machine shop I'm just looking for standard replacements. Thanks in advance!
Problem with the std replacement pistons is most manufacturers build ther piston for a 4.000' bore. All of the 6.0L, and most 4'' SBC's are 4.0015~4.002'' and the piston measures 4''. You will end up with excessive clearence most of the time.

Dingle ball honing a straight bore works great, and seals well, if done right. Bore needs to be cleaned really well with a green scotch brite pad after. I'm working with AutoTec and have designed a custom tight running 4032 boost piston for this application. They can build it .0015'' over, or 3.9995 where it will run in your factory bore. Piston will also have a .350'' thick deck, top ring .300'' down, .100'' longer skirt(for reduced rock) a 7.5cc dish volume, and close to std weight. You can PM me for details if you like.