FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

front mount turbo vs. magnacharger for DD

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I think there is about a $1000 difference in price between the 1900 and the 2300 depending on who you buy it from and the deal you can get.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:35 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used to be a $1500 difference, but now it's more like a $500 difference, I'm happy with my 1900 but if I were to do it again, I'd go 2300 without a second thought.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you seriously post another turbo vs blower thread?

You just need to either build something and see for yourself or sell the damn thing... You've been asking the same questions for who knows how long... Its time to **** or get off the pot this may sound a bit brash, but in complete honesty, some of your wants will have to be compromised in one way or another. I've told you this a dozen time or more in PMs and so have others I'm sure.

That being said, I've already spec'd you a front mount turno setup that'll get you where you want to be... LOL, BUILD SOMETHING. ALREADY!!!!

You won't really know for 100% what you want until you've owned and driven some different stuff and had the experience yourself.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:57 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love my turbo. i drive the **** out of my Tahoe. i drove from Maryland to Arkansas and back not too long ago. going through the Appalachian mountains i never had to down shift. i have logs to prove that at 70mph and about 30% throttle i could get 0-7 or so psi. i could make my boost gauge go up and down with my right foot. it was great the last time i drove through there was non turbo and the tahoe would down shift and unlock the tcc the shift back up and lock back up. it kinda got on my nerves a bit. around town is great if i drive with a real light throttle 20% or less i can stay out of boost but any more than that and i'm in boost. "turbo lag" i think is not as bad as a lot of people think. i like being able to take off with good traction. no point in having a ton of power right at take off if you can't plant it. also if need be i can launch with 10psi. at the track that can be kinda nuts. in fact i broke an axle a few weeks back. if you do things the right way you won't have oil leak issues and heat issues. every other day there is a "belt slip issues" thread. i have a buddy with a magnacharger and he hates it. he has tons of issues. but i do have to say its not a gm truck. its a nissan, that thing was a pain to install. he hated every moment of it.

i've had my issues myself, broken trans, broken axle. you know things that happen when you make power. i run 10psi everyday with meth. i can get to that 10psi at half throttle or full throttle and everywhere in between. with my .84 IIRC exhaust housing the thing would spool supper fast, giving me torque steer before i could get across an intersection from a red light. with my .96 it takes a little longer but its what i wanted.

i run a torque converter from yank it is really tight so normal driving it feels almost like stock and won't go over 2000 rpm hardly but with boost it goes to the 3200 its designed for. all in all i love it and wouldn't go super charger for nothing.

Last edited by 4.8T; 08-30-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:01 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do most people think that supercharged trucks have to downshift everytime they hit an incline? I keep reading that turbo loads up and builds boost to keep from downshifting. I'm sure that's true, and we don't have mountains here in Louisiana, but I know I can ste cruise control at any speed I want and it'll never downshift over overpasses or bridges etc where it used to prior to the blower. Not trying to get in a pisssing match, but letting people know that my power is there at part throttle at all RPM's. Ive never driven a gas turbo truck, so I am biased.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:14 PM
12 Second Truck Club

not sure what supercharged trucks have to do. lol but i do know the hills i'm talking about are long steep grades. pulling these with out the tcc unlocking or trans downshifting is pretty good with 6000lbs. he ask if he could get boost without having to go wot so that was my explanation is all.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If you could pull 6000lbs up a decent hill in OD with a 5.3L that is very impressive.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:32 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Superchargers have a bypass valve that starts to close as the engine starts to load and they start building boost as well. If your cruising at 2500 rpm's your not making much boost with the SC cuz the bypass is open if I'm not mistaken. Then it starts to close and you make the boost that's proportional to your pulley size and your engine RPM, after that though if it's still not enough power the truck will have to downshift, unlike a turbo which just keeps giving it more boost as needed, so it's less likely to downshift.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
If you could pull 6000lbs up a decent hill in OD with a 5.3L that is very impressive.

that is the weight of my tahoe. then add the 4 kids, me, the wife and all the **** we had to to take. but i wasn't towing anything, sorry if it sounded like it.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:50 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Superchargers have a bypass valve that starts to close as the engine starts to load and they start building boost as well. If your cruising at 2500 rpm's your not making much boost with the SC cuz the bypass is open if I'm not mistaken. Then it starts to close and you make the boost that's proportional to your pulley size and your engine RPM, after that though if it's still not enough power the truck will have to downshift, unlike a turbo which just keeps giving it more boost as needed, so it's less likely to downshift.
not to mention i was at 1600-2000 rpm building boost on the hills.

Quick Reply: front mount turbo vs. magnacharger for DD