FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Fuel Injector Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Question

Ok here we go.
First off i did some searching and couldnt really find what i was looking for. on here.

Well i have been doing a little calculations dealing with my fuel system flow rates and IDC's at given fuel pressures and have came up with this

from what i have read here 43.2# injectors are pretty much maxed out at 10 psi, IDC wise, on our trucks. From the math that i have done using a boost referenced regulator and 65 psi of fuel pressure bring the actual flow rate of my injector to somewhere around 52lb/hr. Assuming the fuel pump can maintain the fuel flow then 10# of boost should only push the injectors to roughly and 82-87% IDC. Shooting for 400 wheel HP. which is what i am attemping.

Please if i messed something up here tell me.
I mean would the boost in fuel pressure work in this case or is it just one of thoes times where numbers/math is not reality.

Oh and please i am learning the ropes here. if this comes off as a stupid question i am sorry.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Since Im kind of in the same boat as you. Gonna be my first boost application. I found these Injectors. Are these suitable for an application like yours?

Im running a 5.3L with the MPT70 soon trying to get as much info as I can as well.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:48 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Issues arise when you use injectors far above their rated pressure. If I were you, I would fork up the cash for some 60s and be relieved in the fact knowing you will have plenty of injector to take you a long, long way. I pushed 60s with a single walbro 255 to 600+ rwhp.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

43lb injectors should handle 400rwhp easy. Never hurts to overestimate in the fuel department though..
Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smokeshow
43lb injectors should handle 400rwhp easy. Never hurts to overestimate in the fuel department though..
yeah i been thinking about that i was just crunching numbers. i already spliced my connectors for the SVO greentops im running.

i got two sets. i think i am just gonna send one set off to FIC and let them reflow them. heard they can do it for 2 bills.

just drives me crazy thought for sure the 42's at 60psi would do.

i got HP tuners comming in next week. i guess i can play with the fuel pressure and log IDC's and make my decision.

if anyone else would like to chime in please do so. i am just scratching the serface of fueling and tuning. i am a quick learner though
Old 02-28-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trezent
Ok here we go.
First off i did some searching and couldnt really find what i was looking for. on here.

Well i have been doing a little calculations dealing with my fuel system flow rates and IDC's at given fuel pressures and have came up with this

from what i have read here 43.2# injectors are pretty much maxed out at 10 psi, IDC wise, on our trucks. From the math that i have done using a boost referenced regulator and 65 psi of fuel pressure bring the actual flow rate of my injector to somewhere around 52lb/hr. Assuming the fuel pump can maintain the fuel flow then 10# of boost should only push the injectors to roughly and 82-87% IDC. Shooting for 400 wheel HP. which is what i am attemping.

Please if i messed something up here tell me.
I mean would the boost in fuel pressure work in this case or is it just one of thoes times where numbers/math is not reality.

Oh and please i am learning the ropes here. if this comes off as a stupid question i am sorry.
If you bring your fuel pressure to 65 you will also have to add an additional 10 using a boost referenced regulator since you will be boosting 10 so you will be taxing your fuel system a lot.

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Looking at a online calc it looks like the 43lb injectors should be good for 400rwhp.

Originally Posted by Trezent
yeah i been thinking about that i was just crunching numbers. i already spliced my connectors for the SVO greentops im running.

i got two sets. i think i am just gonna send one set off to FIC and let them reflow them. heard they can do it for 2 bills.

just drives me crazy thought for sure the 42's at 60psi would do.

i got HP tuners comming in next week. i guess i can play with the fuel pressure and log IDC's and make my decision.

if anyone else would like to chime in please do so. i am just scratching the serface of fueling and tuning. i am a quick learner though
Our trucks already run at 58-60 psi fuel pressure stock.

What are your injectors rated at? Ford usually rates them at 39 psi so they would flow more in our trucks.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SRTKLLR
If you bring your fuel pressure to 65 you will also have to add an additional 10 using a boost referenced regulator since you will be boosting 10 so you will be taxing your fuel system a lot.

Looking at a online calc it looks like the 43lb injectors should be good for 400rwhp.

Our trucks already run at 58-60 psi fuel pressure stock.

What are your injectors rated at? Ford usually rates them at 39 psi so they would flow more in our trucks.
yeah there rates at 43.5 or something like that. So at our pressure 58 they are around 50 i think.

playing with numbers is fun!! not really