FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

fuel pressure gauge necessary w/ turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
Use an electric fuel pressure gauge and you won't have to worry about leaks.
Pics or link? How do the electric ones work?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black04
Pics or link? How do the electric ones work?
They have a transducer that attaches to fuel rail and sends signal to in cab gauge. No one should ever run a mechanical fuel pressure gauge in the cab. But I think they were talking about leaks at the fuel rails. They do break down a lot... thank goodness they have a warranty. Im on my third gauge.

Oh, fyi I am running a fuel pressure and boost gauge on my daily driver.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

I installed the fuel pressure gauge, it reads about 55-58 at idle and once I give it gas it goes up to 60psi
Old 02-27-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

That's perfect. When you put the turbo on, the fuel pressure should go up 1 psi for every psi of boost, if you have a return-type system. That's starting from your baseline fuel pressure, which is engine off, key on. Turn the key on and off several times and watch the pressure while the pump primes, the maximum is your base pressure.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
That's perfect. When you put the turbo on, the fuel pressure should go up 1 psi for every psi of boost, if you have a return-type system. That's starting from your baseline fuel pressure, which is engine off, key on. Turn the key on and off several times and watch the pressure while the pump primes, the maximum is your base pressure.
awesome!~ thanks for the info
Old 02-27-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

if ya'll had to rate most important to least important gauge for a turbo, what would it be? I have a 2 gauge A-pillar (for the wideband and boost gauge) but now I got the fuel pressure gauge- so I bout the TTS gauge pod that goes where the dash pocket is to the right of the ac controls

problem is, with the fuel pressure there it's some what hard to actually read it (it has a bubble lens on it causing it to be a little distorted when you look at it from an angle). If the wideband was there it would probably be the easiest to read - the boost gauge would be the 2nd easiest to read. I'm wondering if I should put the boost gauge or wideband there and move the fuel pressure to the A-pillar

or, am I out of luck and all the gauges are equally important lol
Old 02-27-2011, 02:58 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Order of importance to me:

1. Wideband
2. boost
3. fuel pressure

if you have inadequate fuel pressure, you will see a lean condition on the wideband
Old 02-27-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree^, FP is referenced in the WB anyway
Old 02-27-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

A cheap way to monitor your fuel pressure is to use one of the f/p sensors from off of aeroforce technology. If you are using a tuning program that allows you to have inputs to log using a 0-5volt setup. These work great. Functions just like your wideband on your input box.
Just a suggestion. Works great for me.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AkSSS
A cheap way to monitor your fuel pressure is to use one of the f/p sensors from off of aeroforce technology. If you are using a tuning program that allows you to have inputs to log using a 0-5volt setup. These work great. Functions just like your wideband on your input box.
Just a suggestion. Works great for me.
actually, I was going to do that- but since I was running my wideband off the aeroforce I wasn't sure if I could run 2 sensors to it (the fuel pressure being the other added)

but since aeroforce doesn't have a phone number to call, they only have the forum- I posted asking if I could use 2 sensors w/ one aeroforce and after a week or so and not getting a response I just bought a separate fuel pressure gauge...

but using the fuel pressure on the aeroforce to have right there with the wideband would have been the best setup ever... hopefully my fuel pressure gauge will go out soon so I can just order the sensor kit and use the aeroforce

Last edited by TXjeepTJ; 02-28-2011 at 01:53 AM.

Quick Reply: fuel pressure gauge necessary w/ turbo?