FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Fuel system??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel system??

Hey guys i moved this to the fi section I need some advise on what to do for my fuel system. I dont want to run an in tank pump were i have to worry about running the fuel level below 1/4 tank cause i drive alot of miles and the fuel light comes on alot.
i have been reading alot of posts were people are having problems with there intank fuel pumps going bad. I think this is from the fuel level being to low and the pumps just being bad pumps. does the bosch 040 intank pump have the internal pressure regulator like the stock and walbro pump? If it does can you run the tank below 1/4 or is it the same as the walbro?

Can i run a inline aftermarket pump with the stock pump and then run a return line so i can be able to run it below 1/4 tank, and if i go to a full return system i would still have to worry about the fuel level issue i think?? I will have a fuel pressure gague installed so i can see when the fuel leve is too low. Sorry if this is to many questions at once, i just dont want to have something like my fuel pump go out because i put an aftermarket one in place of my more relibale stock one. ive looked at surge tanks, the dual in tank setups, single in tank, and going to a full return system. i cant figure out wich setup i should go with.

if there is a better fuel setup, pump then any of these please let me know (not too expensive) this is for a 2007 silverado that i am going to be installing a front mount turbo on in a couple of months Thanks
Old 12-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

anybody??
Old 12-07-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

I have an '03 with the return system. I added an inline 255LPH Walbro. But even so, with less than 1/4 tank, the fuel will be forced to the back of the tank on a WOT run and starve the in-tank fuel pump. The bucket does not hold enough fuel to feed mine for a 12 second run if the tank is < 1/4 full. It will run dry before I reach the top of 2nd gear and miss like a ****.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:37 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mort
I have an '03 with the return system. I added an inline 255LPH Walbro. But even so, with less than 1/4 tank, the fuel will be forced to the back of the tank on a WOT run and starve the in-tank fuel pump. The bucket does not hold enough fuel to feed mine for a 12 second run if the tank is < 1/4 full. It will run dry before I reach the top of 2nd gear and miss like a ****.
I was wondering if that wasn't the problem most were having... Just keep it above 1/4 when you start beating on it..... Besides, sometimes if you are under a 1/4 and there is a cop around, it will help control your need for speed...

A member on here and I was bouncing ideas around about fuel supply. His idea was a sub tank mounted in the frame rail. Basically, you would have a high volume low pressure pump feed this "sub tank" while a external high pressure high volume feeds the engine from the sub tank... Complicated a bit but if there is a simple answer where is the fun?
Old 12-07-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

That would work, if the engine fuel returned to the main tank. So in the sub tank you would have supply and return lines from the in-tank setup, and supply to the big pump. Then you would have to add another return line from the engine into the main tank. The reason that the engine can't return to the sub tank is that the fuel will boil in such a small tank during high return situations (which is almost always), but there is enough fuel in the main tank to cool the return.
My plan is to put a through-tank fitting in the bottom rear of my tank. It will have a 1" NPT female fitting, which I'll install a 1" x -10AN fitting, feeding my Magnafuel inline pump. Instead of a -10 line feeding the pump, it will expand to maybe 3" diameter, forming a small subtank of about a quart capacity. This setup will go forward from the through-tank fitting, to the pump in front of the tank. That way, when the fitting in the tank is uncovered during braking, the subtank's fuel will still be going forward, towards the pump. The in-tank pump will be unplugged and capped, and the return and fuel gauge will remain stock.
Complicated to describe, but more simple to execute than the two pump-sub tank setup.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:12 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never had a problem running below 1/4 tank in my truck with the intank pump
Old 12-07-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

I never had problems until I butchered the bucket to put in a larger pump, and lost the bucket's check valve function. After that it would go lean anytime I punched it with less than 1/3 tank. Along with my new engine, I put a new bucket with a high flow pump that fit without cutting, and haven't had adequate flow since.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Veteran

I hope this is helping, 4.8 truckin.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Besides, sometimes if you are under a 1/4 and there is a cop around, it will help control your need for speed...

This is very true

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
A member on here and I was bouncing ideas around about fuel supply. His idea was a sub tank mounted in the frame rail. Basically, you would have a high volume low pressure pump feed this "sub tank" while a external high pressure high volume feeds the engine from the sub tank... Complicated a bit but if there is a simple answer where is the fun?

Is this the same concept as a surge tank?

Thanks guys this is very helpful i think i might try a sub tank and see what happens. So I could run the stock in tank pump in to a resevoir of some sort and run a higher pressure inline pump off of that, and then run a return to the main fuel tank. This would be nice because i would have controll over the fuel pressure with a fpr, And i have a bosch 044 in line pump at work i can use.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
That would work, if the engine fuel returned to the main tank. So in the sub tank you would have supply and return lines from the in-tank setup, and supply to the big pump. Then you would have to add another return line from the engine into the main tank. The reason that the engine can't return to the sub tank is that the fuel will boil in such a small tank during high return situations (which is almost always), but there is enough fuel in the main tank to cool the return.
My plan is to put a through-tank fitting in the bottom rear of my tank. It will have a 1" NPT female fitting, which I'll install a 1" x -10AN fitting, feeding my Magnafuel inline pump. Instead of a -10 line feeding the pump, it will expand to maybe 3" diameter, forming a small subtank of about a quart capacity. This setup will go forward from the through-tank fitting, to the pump in front of the tank. That way, when the fitting in the tank is uncovered during braking, the subtank's fuel will still be going forward, towards the pump. The in-tank pump will be unplugged and capped, and the return and fuel gauge will remain stock.
Complicated to describe, but more simple to execute than the two pump-sub tank setup.
So you would disable the in tank pump and use an inline pump that picks up from the bottom of the main tank. This would be after the sub tank that would have the reserve from the sub tank to help stop a low fuel presure situation.

Quick Reply: Fuel system??