FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Gained 2.5 psi by taking out PCV system

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gained 2.5 psi by taking out PCV system

Well I have been having problems with my PCV system so I decided to get rid of it and go with some breathers so instead of just caping off the fittings on the SC for the PCV system I looped them together with a hose so the fitting before the TB is connected to the fitting after it I started it up and the idle was high I expected that but the computer learned to compensate im sure tuning can fix this so I took her for a drive to make sure it was ok and when i gave it gas I watched the boost gauge and from 1000 to 4500rpm was getting 6.5 psi then it was like someone hit a turbo button and the boost climbed rapidly to 10psi the truck felt alot faster. Has anyone done this with the PCV system before I suspect the reason for the boost increase is becuase the SC is getting more air through the looped hose.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Punctuation, please?? or some line breaks.. lol

My guess is as good as yours, that would be the logical thing to me since thats all you changed and now you have more boost.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Parke10
Punctuation, please??
Old 07-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting...... what did you do exactly? sounds like you are leting vacuam go by the blade and you messed up where the boost gauge now reads boost???? maybe need a picture or something.. explain more..
Old 07-26-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Edited:
Well I have been having problems with my PCV system so I decided to get rid of it and go with some breathers instead of just caping off the fittings on the SC for the PCV system.
I looped them together with a hose so the fitting before the TB is connected to the fitting. After it I started it up and the idle was high, I expected that but the computer learned to compensate.
I'm sure tuning can fix this so I took her for a drive to make sure it was ok. When I gave it gas I watched the boost gauge and from 1000 to 4500rpm was getting 6.5 psi. Then it was like someone hit a turbo button and the boost climbed rapidly to 10psi the truck felt alot faster.
Has anyone done this with the PCV system before?
I suspect the reason for the boost increase is becuase the SC is getting more air through the looped hose.

I am not an english major. Your first post made sense to me either way.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:03 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something doesn't sound right. That PCV line shouldn't be able to flow enough air to make your boost gauge gain 2.5 PSI.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

imo, your asking for trouble. cap it off or hook it back up like its supposed to be, don't intentionally create a vaccum leak.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by geestyle4
interesting...... what did you do exactly? sounds like you are leting vacuam go by the blade and you messed up where the boost gauge now reads boost???? maybe need a picture or something.. explain more..
Yeah, a picture or drawing. No more words, though.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

This is the back of the super charger hose in blue goes from the back of the super charger to my right (passenger side) valve cover and is connected to the PCV valve. The hose in red goes from the throttle body to the left valve cover (drivers side) this hose gets air from around the throttle body blade.

So I took a hose and connected the 2 fittings together (shown in white) now the super charger is pulling air through the throttle body and around it through the looped hose. So its like having a bigger throttle body, thats about as drawn and simple as I can make it.

On a side note I started getting codes p0101 becuase the looped hose is a vaccum leak, and im sure right and left bank lean codes will soon follow. So I put it back the way it was, I have to ask my tuner if he can tune it out.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Parke10
Punctuation, please?? or some line breaks.. lol

My guess is as good as yours, that would be the logical thing to me since thats all you changed and now you have more boost.
Give me a break it was like 3am when I wrote this.

Quick Reply: Gained 2.5 psi by taking out PCV system