FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Gen 1E intercooled Magnacharger.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The blower came bolted to the manifold so I didn't get to check out the manifold. I'm a dealer for Magnachargers so the price was a bit better, but I think to get everything you'd need would run around 4k to 4.5k. I'm not sure on the distributor if you could modify the intake base enough to make the stock one fit. I would like to see if there is an aftermarket distributor that will communicate with the stock computer like the stock distributor does or if the internals of the distributor could be modified to a smaller cap distributor. The wiring isn't difficult at all. It wouldn't be plug and play, but it could be ready to run in about an hour or so doing everything properly (as far as the wiring is concerned). I really need to get back over to the car and get a picture of it with the 90mm throttle body on it too.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Yea that blower is crazy! Can you put the intake on either way you want it? It look sliek you have it going the opposite way that the pictures I posted are going.
Is the whipple blower really that much better that you would want to custom mount it to the magnacharger manifold?
Hey zippy, not including the cost of the supercharger, how much do you think it would cost to get this running on a L31?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

A couple hundred bucks would probably cover it not including the cost of the blower or distributor. The distributor is the only real challenge I see in it.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
...Is the whipple blower really that much better that you would want to custom mount it to the magnacharger manifold?...
The Eaton blowers have a lot of fans here, but despite that - YES. Twin screw technology is superior.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:55 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by James B.
The Eaton blowers have a lot of fans here, but despite that - YES. Twin screw technology is superior.

If you say so
Old 09-14-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a photo of the rear of the marine and the OEM manifolds.

The L31 distributor is so low-profile that the bottom of the housing is about even with the seam between the upper and lower sections. The bottom of the distributor is about 3 1/4" taller than the bottom of the intake manifold.

Here are some photos of the stock geometry:

Edit: What do you suggest we do to keep the Gen-III guys from laughing at this "distributor issue?"

Last edited by James B.; 09-14-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

The problem that I see with the Maggie with the distributor is that it seems too wide. It looks like it was built for use with a smaller aftermarket distributor (skinnier). At least the Gen I has a smaller water pump.

(That's the best I can come up with)...
Old 09-14-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

It sure looks close to fitting with that relief cast into it for the distributor body. Have you tired dropping a L31 distributor in there for mock-up to see what happens? I keep staring at this but it's hard to tell from the pictures where the fuel rails are in altitude relative to the the plug connectors on the cap.

So you're a Magnacharger distributor? Hhmmm....

I heard way back when this was fisrt announced that the Manifold would not be available for purchase without a supercharger. For example, one would not be able to obtain a quote for an unpolished intercooled Vortec manifold with fuel rails, no injectors, and no supercharger.... lol
Old 09-14-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I should make it clear when I say that I'm a distributor, I only sell them to the trucks I'm doing the work on or locals. I didn't post that so as to try to get sales from any of the vendors on here. I worked out that deal with them so that when I have to buy individual parts from them or a blower to install I can get it direct. I haven't been able to try an L31 distributor, but I know you must have as much or more interest in that as I do. I'll make my best effort to get that done this weekend.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome, Thank You!

The truth is, I'm a little bit bored with the Tahoe. It's just not strong enough to break parts. I'm maxed out at 6psi on this tiny little blower and need something larger! I used to run 9psi on the 350, so I haven't even seen what a 383 can truly do. A blower upgrade is in order and some amount of fabrication will be necessary anyway. The Marine Manifold setup I have is a hot commodity, I could sell it for almost what I have into it. I could also unload the entire Whipple kit, complete and start over with a manifold like yours as the foundation for the project.
Thanks for your help with this. If it turns out to be feasible and available I will want to get started rounding up parts.

Quick Reply: Gen 1E intercooled Magnacharger.