FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Getting a Radix.....have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a Radix.....have some questions.

OK, I'm convinced that I want to get the Radix on my rig soon. Plus Superchargersonline has the cheapest price I've seen in 2 years for the IC Radix. Don't know if can post the price but it is LOW. I was thinking Non IC because I'm in Alaska and we don't get very warm up here...but the IC ver is now just over $1K more...so who knows?

Anyway I'm wondering a few things. I searched and didn't find exactly the answers I was looking for so here goes:

1. I got the W4M tune...should I get Jess to do me a supercharger tune or trust Magnacharger and their Superchips set up?

2. I'm ordering a trans go shift kit and the vette servo. If I use the Superchips re-tune....will it let me take away the increased line pressure from the W4M tune? I really don't wanna send my PCM off again......it takes a week round trip in Alaska. And we don't have dyno service up here that I know of for a dyno tune. Should I do any more to the tranny other than cross my fingers???

3. I'm getting a 3 gauge pod for the a-pillar. I'm thinking boost gauge and A/F gauge. What would be a good 3rd gauge? Fuel Pressure? I'm doing the Escalade cluster soon too...so I'll have trans temp.

4. Any other suggestions???

Thanks,
JJ
Old 08-05-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

1. You can talk to Jesse but he refused to tune mine via mail order. Maybe it was because of the meth injection but he doesn't like doing mail order stuff for FI.

2. Don't know but the superchips handheld that came with my Vortech didn't give me any adjustment to anything. It had one tune and I couldn't even adjust for my tire size. That could be different with yours.

3. Boost, yes! A/F gauge, don't waste your money unless your getting a wideband. Yes, get a fuel pressure gauge, even though it's $200.

My $.02
Old 08-05-2006, 01:07 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$200 fuel pressure gauge I think I got my Autometer for $50 on ebay, with the sending unit etc...but yes, get that gauge. If you do a AFR gauge, get a wideband or dont bother. I think the Superchips/Magnacharger tune will have its own tranny pressure settings. However, when you order your kit they should ask for you gear ratio, tire size, etc to get the tune right for your truck. The tune is set up to be safe and add longevity to your parts. Thats why Magnacharger offers a drivetrain warranty for a small fee.

I learned my lesson on mail order FI tunes Either stick with the Magnacharger issued tune or find a dyno. Otherwise youre rolling the dice on blowing a motor.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had a Nelson tune in mine since I got the sc last August and have had no problems. He sends you a pcm and then you send yours back so there's no down time and he'll set it up the way you want it. The stock Radix tune is conservative so they don't have liability problems.

I have a WB air/fuel and two Intercepter scan guages and I'd recommend all of them. The scan guages read and reset codes plus providing data from all the parameters covered by the pcm. If I had it to do over again I'd get one scan guage, the wb and a boost/vac... which you need with the sc.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:39 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

I would go for the intercooled unit just because I would not want to be limited.
As for pricing, have you contacted any of our sponsers? I would be amazed if they weren't competitive!
Wideband/Fuel Pressure (electric)/boost gauges are what i did.
Look for a dyno tuner in your area? If not, go Nelson.
Good luck with the trans.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I can guarantee that Speed Engineering will beat that price. Give them a call and ask for Sean.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

My suggestion would to start with the tune supplied by Mag. Then...if there's any problems, they can, and will walk you thru any stumbling blocks you may encounter. It's MUCH easiert to troubleshoot that way, if need be. I'm not sure how the Mag supplied tune would work over the Jesse tune. I would call Mag to verify, you might just have to tell them everything that's in the Jesse tune, so they can load their tune accordingly. Happy modding!!!
Old 08-05-2006, 10:09 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely go for the intercooled s/c unless you are going to spray meth or something. IT doesn't matter how cold or warm it is up there, roots blowers get HOT when you spin them up.

And yes, start with the Magnuson tune, then either tune it yourself after that or go to a dyno. Or just leave the Magnuson tune in there, it works well.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:44 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Definitely go for the intercooled s/c unless you are going to spray meth or something. IT doesn't matter how cold or warm it is up there, roots blowers get HOT when you spin them up.

And yes, start with the Magnuson tune, then either tune it yourself after that or go to a dyno. Or just leave the Magnuson tune in there, it works well.

some of the best advice I have EVER seen given on this site......or the web!
Old 08-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Originally Posted by thunder550
Originally Posted by BlownChevy
some of the best advice I have EVER seen given on this site......or the web!

I dont get credit for my advice? That's why nobody likes you and won't be your friend.

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
I learned my lesson on mail order FI tunes Either stick with the Magnacharger issued tune or find a dyno. Otherwise youre rolling the dice on blowing a motor.

Last edited by 1SlowHoe; 08-05-2006 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Getting a Radix.....have some questions.