FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

GM Turbo manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Turbo manifolds

Hello,
First off, i do not own a truck, and i do not own a Chevy. I do own a mustang (ya ya i know) and have several hundred posts on 4-5 other forums. My mustang is a 99 GT 5.4 bored .020 over, forged internals, ported stage 3 heads, custom grind cams, custom intake, the whole 9 yards... and also twin turbo'd. So thats a little bit about me...
(and i built my motor, and turned all my wrenches...)

Now, why i am posting on this forum. I have a good friend, who is not exactly the most intelligent individual when it comes to vehicles he wants to put a turbo on his 2002 Chevy 2500 HD, I believe this came stock with the 4L80E, so not worried to much about the trans.... He is wanting to run about 7 pounds of boost on the truck tell he forges the bottom end (6-12 months later). My questions come into this really...

Can the stock manifolds be turned around and used? If so what if any modifications need to be done?

Or if need be, were can i buy the Passenger side(i believe its passenger side that cant be flipped around to my knowledge) turbo manifold or both manifolds to fab the turbo kit for him....

I did do searches for this information but i cant load pictures on these computers (currently in Iraq) so i cant tell what kind of manifolds alot of these people are using on there builds.

I can weld... and i had to custom fab my mustang kit as 5.4's didnt come in my body style of a mustang. well the 2000 Cobra R did... but there isnt a turbo kit for that.... as there are only a few left...

Any other guidance/assistance is appreciated

Thank you all for your help and input...
Old 09-03-2008, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Easiest route would be buy the hot parts from the sponsors on the right ----> Trick or KBracing. Then piece the rest together. Flipping the manifolds is possible but if you want to keep all of your accessories it gets to be a pita. If you have the skills to fab it up Im sure you could look at the above parts and make it your self, which would be a pita since you are in Iraq, or just tell your buddy to buy something from the right.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:28 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for a kit from kbracing96 You can buy just the manifold, all the hot parts, or I even hear rumors that there might be a complete kit in the works....
Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
+1 for a kit from kbracing96 You can buy just the manifold, all the hot parts, or I even hear rumors that there might be a complete kit in the works....
Yep, I can get you what ever he needs to turbo his truck. Here is what my hot parts kit consist of.

Name:  IMG_1743.jpg
Views: 2165
Size:  65.5 KB

I can add WG and everything up to a full kit. Just let me know what you need.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:51 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that my kit Kyle??
Take it off the ground, it's getting dirty!!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Registered abuser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flip the passenger mani upside down (pointing up and forward) and go at it if you feel the need to fab up the complete hot side. easy. Even easier to bolt up the complete kit from someone else tho.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Teching In

hmm sounds good...

kbracing ill inform him... might just go with your hot side kit

thanks for the info and not bashing me, as my first post was a question lol...
see alot on forums people asking questions and people bash them... but usually its cause its been answered 80 times, and a simple search would of recieved the answer...

just a curiosity question...
I know generaly internals can take about you know on a safe tune 7-9 psi roughly for a little while before the go KA-BOOM.... besides internals and trans is there any other weak parts??
Old 09-03-2008, 06:03 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shakin_bakin
just a curiosity question...
I know generaly internals can take about you know on a safe tune 7-9 psi roughly for a little while before the go KA-BOOM.... besides internals and trans is there any other weak parts??
With a good tune one of these engines should live a long time on a modest number like 7-9 psi. Meth would be a good addition to help avoid knock.

Since your buddy has the 2500HD, it will have the 4L80E tranny in it, which is a pretty stout unit. I don't think it will have any problems. You're probably thinking of the notoriously weak 4L60E that comes in the half ton trucks...those are the ones that break very easily. If he has a factory G80 locker in the back there's a good change that it won't live too long...might look into a good LSD like the Detroit Truetrac. Other than that, the truck should stand up to those boost levels pretty well. He will obviously need the supporting fuel system to help keep up.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:13 PM
12 Second Truck Club

7-9 psi should run along time. Ive been running 10 + psi for the last 25,000 miles and have close to 95k right now. I have alot of fun with mine, either way you go the sponsors on here will take care of you!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Teching In

ya... fuel mods...

pumps?
and Injectors... for sure of course...

Quick Reply: GM Turbo manifolds