FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

great info for you STS guys...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Nickvrebel
I know who that guy "engineermike" is, he's from this area (his car is a stock appearing and sounding LT1 Camaro... until you hear the turbo spool) anyways...

I'm sure the temp made some difference, but think about this:
yesterday I was reading a thread about a guy that installed his STS kit and had to get to his tuner, but was afraid that at highway rpms he would be making boost and hurt his untuned motor. He was assured that as long as he kept the load to a minumum he would not be making boost, regardless of engine speed.

with that in mind: the original poster of this ls1tech thread also mentioned that he got a much tighter stall, call me crazy, but I'm willing to bet the when you try to accelerate hard through a tighter stall, your engine load just increased dramatically

I'm not an engineer, but this is what is logical to me.

Would a tighter stall speed not help more in the area of spooling up rather than maximum boost produced? I don't think that a tighter stall speed will have that much of an influence on maximum boost produced which is what Zombie is interested in as well because he wants to run 20 psi but could not get over 13 psi before he removed his headers and painted his exhaust. I don't think that barbeque paint will stand up very well and most of the paint jobs pictured are qhetto at best. Most header paint I have experience with will burn, peal or rust off in a relatively short time and it seems that header wrap will rot your headers or exhaust out as well. There are some serious trade offs to doing these mods. The paint mod will have the least negative impact.

I am sure this mod is for people looking for every last bit of performance and willing to break parts in the process. O well another .02

Old 07-20-2006, 03:30 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GENERATION II COPPER HEADER WRAP

Generation II Copper Header Wrap improves heat resistance up to 30% more than current technology, by utilizing a new proprietary coating developed by Thermo-Tec; improved Thermal-Conduction-Technology (T-C-T).

Generation II Copper Exhaust Wrap creates more horsepower and reduces under-hood temperatures, increases exhaust scavenging, withstands continuous heat up to 2000ºF, contains no asbestos.

Generation II Copper Exhaust Wrap is sold in one or two inch wide, 50 foot rolls with a low profile 1/16" thickness.
Attached Thumbnails great info for you STS guys...-11031.jpg  
Old 07-20-2006, 03:40 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And this...doesn't seem that it would seal it off so much to cause the pipe damage, yet seal it in enough for pressure increase in the turbo applications...

CLAMP-ON PIPE HEAT SHIELD

The flexible clamp on pipe heat shield blocks over 98% of the damaging radiant heat of the exhaust.The High-tech composite construction of the heat shield provides the ultimate in protection.

The kits come complete with all clamps and install in minutes.

Clamp-on pipe heat shields are available in one, two and three foot lengths. Clamp-on pipe heat shields incorporate Thermo-Tec's proprietary coating technology developed by Thermo-Tec, Thermal Conduction Technology
Attached Thumbnails great info for you STS guys...-11600.jpg  
Old 07-20-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted the exhaust with high temp exhaust paint 1200* then I used 3 rolls of exhaust wrap from the exhaust manifolds to the turbo. The cats took up alot of the roll, (My cats are hollowed out) I used black 2 inch 50" feet rolls (3) I painted the wrap with wrap protecting paint high temp, and then another coat of 1200* white high temp paint again. (for the rot issue) I think it did help on spooling, I didn't gain on max boost. I know it helped my two step build boost. The paint is holding well on the turbo hot side, but (before I wraped the exhaust) I did notice paint flaking off on the exhaust near the exhaust manifolds, but I think that is because I didn't clean the exhaust before I painted it. I just put two more coats and then I wraped it and painted it.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

I used DEI wrap and wrap protector. I also used vht 2000* high temp paint on the turbo and exhaust manifolds. I really like the vht paint alot, but there plant just burn down and they are in the process in moving to Arizona so supplies are limited. Its a better paint.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You guys shouldn't see higher max psi if your waste gate is working properly, it should just get there quicker

Last edited by kbracing96; 07-20-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Veteran

I think the header wrap is a great idea, but eveything I had wrapped started to rust big time. Unless you have stainless pipes you will see them rust, even with the high temp coating that STS uses.
So what spray on coating keeps the heat in the best??

Last edited by TG02Z71; 07-20-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
I think the header wrap is a great idea, but eveything I had wrapped started to rust big time. Unless you have stainless pipes you will see them rust, even with the high temp coating that STS uses.
So what spray on coating keeps the heat in the best??
Did you spray paint your exhaust first, wrap, and paint agian? I think the coats of paint will help protect the exhaust pipe... I think! I liked the vht paint the best.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:51 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

would painting/wrapping manifolds/headers and pipe do any good whatsoever with a naturally aspirated application? or would you just be wasting your time?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
would painting/wrapping manifolds/headers and pipe do any good whatsoever with a naturally aspirated application? or would you just be wasting your time?
It does help, not as much as FI set ups though.
My last two bikes had the headers wraped, if you have tubular headers it will improve the scavanging affect. Take a look at allot of track vehicles, they use this wrap quite a bit. Keeps under hood temps down too, and you won't burn your hands as much playing around in a hot engine compartment either.

Quick Reply: great info for you STS guys...