FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Hallman boost controller over-boosting

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hallman boost controller over-boosting

I just installed a Hallman pro series boost controller. Right now I have a 8 psi spring in my JGS wastegate. I installed the boost controller using the instructions that came with it. Just now I went on a test drive with it adjusted all the way to the minimum (which according to the instructions should be my 'stock' boost level, 8psi).

So I slowly get on it and watched my boost gauge like a hawk and the boost flies up and goes close to 15 psi...

Right now, by way of the Hallman instructions, I have the top port of the wastegate vented (Hallman says to always no matter what leave this vented..) and the bottom port connected to the controller. On the other side of the controller it goes to the intake for the boost source.

I've been searching the past hour, and it seems no one has ever had this problem- mostly seems like everyone cannot get enough boost from the controller..

http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.co...tions%20ld.pdf
Old 10-23-2012, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Is the top part of the Hallman near the **** connected to the w/g and not the other way around? If so then pull it off and reconnect your w/g hose staight to the manifold to make sure your w/g didnt get stuck.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could try turning the **** all the way in the other direction to see if you got it backwards.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GONEB4U
Is the top part of the Hallman near the **** connected to the w/g and not the other way around? If so then pull it off and reconnect your w/g hose staight to the manifold to make sure your w/g didnt get stuck.
good idea. I'll try that right now. The WG has been off for the past 3 weeks sitting around so maybe this could be the issue
Old 10-24-2012, 09:39 AM
MASS seller approved

Where are you measuring boost and what is the reference source for the hallman? Mine came with two springs, to get lowest boost you would want the hallman all the way out with the lightest spring installed. You could also eliminate the hallman and run the line right to your gate to verify your gate is set-up to regulate boost down to that level. From there if you are still overboosting you would want a weaker spring holding the gate closed.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

I plugged the waste gate straight to the intake and it is correctly regulating boost to 8psi

My hallman didn't come with any other spring. Maybe the ball inside the controller is stuck? I'm measuring boost from the intake and that is also the boost source
Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 PM
MASS seller approved

If that is the case then there isn't enough air getting through the hallman, either spring is too stiff or something is clogged or stuck. It's easy to take the end barb off and a ball and spring will fall out. I have a silver and a bronze looking spring for mine, I think the bronze was softer (lower boost) and the silver was higher, but that is from memory, don't quote me on it.

Also verify that the end port is connected to reference and side port is connected to wastegate, having them backward would cause this issue for sure.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine was boost creeping in the higher rpms with the **** all the way out. I tightened it up a little and it brought my boost to my wastegate spring rating.