FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Has Anyone Successfully Turboed a Truck and Kept the Stock Cats or Any Cats??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone make relocated AC lines for GMT800-900s? I always thought with AC you could let it bleed out (although highly illegal haha), but you really need to fully vacuum it out with a high dollar machine and then recharge it fresh? I mean i'm sure some people just let it leak out and then charge it up with a couple cans of freon.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Firestone charges me $40 to evac

I vac and fill it myself however, because they want like $200 for the truck and like $400 for the van lol
Old 08-30-2021, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

So thinking and looking more I don't see why I couldn't keep the entire driver's side manifold and cat intact, then maybe even try to use the stock crossover pipe. Then get a turbo manifold for the passenger side and it seems like I could connect the turbo exhaust outlet pipe directly to the passenger side cat input? I would just need to figure out where to put the wastegate.

I've got a MIG welder and if I get a chop saw and a good belt sander I think I could build all this myself with just some patience. It might be smarter to get a good band saw though to get cleaner cuts.

I also think I could maybe have enough room to use the stock airbox or maybe remount it on the driver's side. This would allow me to keep the stock MAF setup. I know I'll probably get bashed hard for even thinking about that but I really like stock components and stock exhaust manifolds and intakes because I know they take into account sound quality which I'm the only one that cares about. It should also allow me to run a MAF which I think is important.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I don't see why I can't utilize the whole entire drivers side manifold with the cat. I could then cut the stock crossover about right here, then run a pipe back up to the passenger side manifold:

Main problem seems to be just the very small amount of room, it seems the GMT900 frame likes to narrow in a lot going towards the engine bay:

I went ahead and ordered a turbo log manifold. My biggest problem now is that I can't fit my truck into my garage, and therefore, its going to be very difficult to work on it and then have to put it back together since I can't close it for the night. I guess I could leave the garage open for a few nights while I can work on it but it isn't ideal especially since I am doing this basically blind with no kit and there is no telling what kind of PITAs are going to unfold during the process.

I think one thing I can start on for sure is tapping the oil pan for a drain since I think from looking that's where most people do it. I am going to change the oil pan gasket anyway so this will be a perfect opportunity. I think I also need to buy very good high quality oil fittings since I have heard horror stories on here about fires and leaks and messes even with supposedly high quality fittings from high quality turbo kits. I think I can cheap out on everything except the wastegate and oil fittings.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:27 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Why not just do a rear mount like a STS kit?
Old 08-31-2021, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Nothing should go infront of a turbo...
Buy a supercharger and keep ur cats
Or buy a oem turbocharged equip vehicle
Modifying a vehicle creates new smells and sounds, especially one with something as serious as a turbo. You havent even gotten into the hassle of fueling and boost control yet.
im not being an *******, im just being realistic you will be unhappy with a turbo and waste alot of time and money.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by skolman91
Nothing should go infront of a turbo...
Buy a supercharger and keep ur cats
Or buy a oem turbocharged equip vehicle
Modifying a vehicle creates new smells and sounds, especially one with something as serious as a turbo. You havent even gotten into the hassle of fueling and boost control yet.
im not being an *******, im just being realistic you will be unhappy with a turbo and waste alot of time and money.
Yeah you're probably right. I think I'm going to have a lot of unforseen issues and that's not even getting into oiling problems and crankcase venting and smoke too. It just seems like such a daunting task.

It would be one thing if I had another stock exhaust system to switch back to, but I can't find one even though millions of people throw away stock systems all the time. If I had that I could at least try it.

I may do a small cam, but superchargers just never seem worth it for the insane amount of money they cost.

But then again are people always taking the cats off for the rear mount kits?
Old 08-31-2021, 04:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 462 Likes on 362 Posts

Ummm, what the hell do you think powers ctsv, zr1, zl1, hell cat, demon? That's about the most uneducated statement I've ever read on here. Superchargers do not disappoint lol. Turbo trucks make good power but they are a pita to get setup properly and I've never seen one that was street legal. If you want legal fun supercharger is the route to go. FYI you will have as much or more into a turbo setup properly as you will a turn key supercharger system that has directions and tech support...
The following 3 users liked this post by smokinlmm:
BudRacing (12-08-2021), Fullpower (08-29-2022), tjmath (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 05:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinlmm
Ummm, what the hell do you think powers ctsv, zr1, zl1, hell cat, demon? That's about the most uneducated statement I've ever read on here. Superchargers do not disappoint lol. Turbo trucks make good power but they are a pita to get setup properly and I've never seen one that was street legal. If you want legal fun supercharger is the route to go. FYI you will have as much or more into a turbo setup properly as you will a turn key supercharger system that has directions and tech support...
I agree with this.

A friend of mine had a zl1, pullied down and ran 10.80’s all night.

Having had a Whipple myself, when you get to 12-14psi, it’s just stupid fast and will pull for forever.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,101 Posts

+1 for the blower club here

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Successfully Turboed a Truck and Kept the Stock Cats or Any Cats??