FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Headgasket blown??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headgasket blown??

Noticed few days after last time I was at the track that my oil catch can was half full. Drained it and a orange water substance came out of it and smells like fuel (E85). Few weekends ago I made 4 full passes on the street and few days later remembered to check my catch can it was partially filled with same color, smelled substance. I only notice it fills up with it when I make some WOT passes on full boost. Driving around, nothing. Trucks runs good at WOT and driving around like a normal person lol. Is there a way to check for a headgasket before pulling a head, possible leak down test? The catch can only collects from the passenger valve cover. Drivers side has a breather filter on it. Any suggestions would be cool lol. Thanks Thomas
Old 09-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Well here are my 1.5 cents

1. Check your plugs
2. is there oil in your radiator
3. Is there water in your oil (Drain it)
4. compression check
5. Leak down test

Depending on what you find go from there, Sounds like a head lifting under full boost or an intake gasket
Old 09-15-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

When I run my truck in boost the STS PCV vents the passenger side valve cover to the atmosphere. I had a catch jug for a while and it would collect a lot of condensation from the crankcase and it was an orange brown color from a little oil (?) mixed in with it. I think what you are seeing is just condensation from the crankcase venting when you are at wot. If you are getting a lot of oil as well then you may have a bit of blow by the pistons and rings. With blow by I got oil and water and with a better seal I mostly just got water with a little brownish oil goo mixed in.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mort
When I run my truck in boost the STS PCV vents the passenger side valve cover to the atmosphere. I had a catch jug for a while and it would collect a lot of condensation from the crankcase and it was an orange brown color from a little oil (?) mixed in with it. I think what you are seeing is just condensation from the crankcase venting when you are at wot. If you are getting a lot of oil as well then you may have a bit of blow by the pistons and rings. With blow by I got oil and water and with a better seal I mostly just got water with a little brownish oil goo mixed in.
Good to know. I will test everything this weekend and see if I come to any conclusion. Almost looks like a gatorade color orange lol. Only oil I see in the catch can is on the drain screw (mayb a drops worth).
Old 09-17-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

If there is coolant in the oil it will be at the very bottom. Pull the drain plug slowly and let the first bit drain into a bottle or jar. Hold the plug and just let the oil dribble out into a clear container. If you warm the engine up let it sit for an hour to let the water separate and sink to the bottom of the sump. You will see right away if there is any coolant. If you just let it flood into a drain pan it will be harder to see because it will mix in more and sink to the bottom.

I had a head gasket go and it blew most of the coolant out of the coolant reservoir overflow. There was coolant in the intake, cylinders and a little in the oil. Then the engine overheated and melted the pistons in a flash and spun a bearing I think. I have not taken the pan off yet but it sure had a bad clank to it when I started it.

Good luck and I hope you are just venting some condensation from the sump. I know I was surprised at the amount that comes out of my engine under boost.