FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Heads ordered Now I need help picking the cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads ordered Now I need help picking the cam

I ordered a set of AFR 225cc heads with 72cc chambers today. I need help picking a good cam for my combo. The truck is mostly for street/strip duty with a little towing. My current mods are as follows:

LQ9 6.0, Radix, 3.0 pully, Nelson tune, LT's, true dual 3" exhaust with high flow cats X pipe and dual 18" magnaflows, K&N FIPK, MSD wires, 180 tstat, built 4L80E W/ 2800 stall.

I am also planning on doing the 90mm TB conversion and going to a smaller pully.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wink

don't know why no one has not replied to this

linginfelter[spelling] gt2-3 seems to be the default radix cam.
friggin awesome truck by the way
Old 04-25-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks
Old 04-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderwagen
I ordered a set of AFR 225cc heads with 72cc chambers today. I need help picking a good cam for my combo. The truck is mostly for street/strip duty with a little towing. My current mods are as follows:

LQ9 6.0, Radix, 3.0 pully, Nelson tune, LT's, true dual 3" exhaust with high flow cats X pipe and dual 18" magnaflows, K&N FIPK, MSD wires, 180 tstat, built 4L80E W/ 2800 stall.

I am also planning on doing the 90mm TB conversion and going to a smaller pully.
Looks like my setup!!! My cam was recommended by Allen. It's in my sig. Not alot down low but it compliments the radix's low end along with the 2800 TC and my truck pulls like a ***** up to 110. If you are buying your cam new, Allen hooked me up there as well.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:28 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey thunderwagen, where did you get your dyno done? Have any pictures of the graph?

Have you pinned your crank pulley yet? I have similar mods as you and found I was spinning the crank pulley above 5000 rpms which hurt upper rpm dyno numbers. As it turns out, my dyno numbers were almost exactly the same as yours.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the dyno done at a place in Saginaw called Dynosaur.

Yeah i have the graph. Since I have moved I only have dial up because they dont offer DSL out here yet so I havent posted it yet.

I havent pinned the pully yet, but am planning on doing it when I pull it apart for the head swap. On the graph it fell off at about 4800 RPM and went lean. I think it is running out of injector up there. I am going to put in a set of 60# when I do the heads. I am still having belt slip issues even after I did moregrip's pully mod, so I am probably spinning the crank pully.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:56 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I'll host and post your graph if you want to email it to me - richard@z71.net

My power level was climbing pretty good then just flatlined when it hit about 5000 rpms. I though it might have been my restrictive muffler, so I went back 4 days later with no cats and no muffler, just open pipes after the X pipe. Power only went up about 4 rwhp and the graph did the same flatline at 5000 rpms. Later when I was installing heads I noticed my pulley was a PITA to remove because of the rough surface it created on the crank snout.

I had my last two dynos done at SpeedTek in FtWorth. I may get another one pretty soon to see how the heads, new cam, 90mm TB, and the pinned crank help power levels.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you still running the 42# injectors, and did it lean out on you when it fell off? When mine fell off it hit 15:1 AFR.

Let me know when you are going to go agin I would like to see the truck. I will send you my number.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:21 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

My air fuel did drop some but not over 13:1, but I have an 03 truck with the fuel regulator on the rail. That regulator increases fuel pressure under boost, so they flow more fuel. Your 05 truck has the regulator in the tank so its not vacuum referenced. At WOT, you'll actually see decreasing fuel pressures, so your 42# injectors won't be flowing as much fuel. But to answer your question, yes I did recently change injectors. I moved to the green top Bosch injector (some call it the 42# SVO injector) which flows about 50# at our fuel pressure. That seems to be enough to cover my needs since I'm already running a 2.75 pulley.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

My fuel pressure normally sits around 68#. Under full boost it drops off to around 64#. I dont think that small of a drop would make me go that lean.

Quick Reply: Heads ordered Now I need help picking the cam