FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Help! Radix Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 04:13 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
if that is the case then how come you drove x amount of miles without any issues?

The point is Devin, these pulleys do not provide anymore "belt wrap" or any gains at all IN MY OPINION. If someone wants to spend the money for them, great its theirs to spend. I would not recommend it after I say Joe's fail, and others have issues with them.
I think you have a valid point bro, but don't discredit mine because you think you have all the facts, I lived it and can 100% say it stopped throwing belts when I made the switch. I realize Joe had issue's with the Metco's which was due to the size of the bearings and the load they experienced due to the added stress of his setup. Because of his reports I am in process of re-thinking my idler pulleys as well, however, that doesn't automatically make what I went through null and void. The Metco's worked for me, plain and simple.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:20 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
I think you have a valid point bro, but don't discredit mine because you think you have all the facts, I lived it and can 100% say it stopped throwing belts when I made the switch. I realize Joe had issue's with the Metco's which was due to the size of the bearings and the load they experienced due to the added stress of his setup. Because of his reports I am in process of re-thinking my idler pulleys as well, however, that doesn't automatically make what I went through null and void. The Metco's worked for me, plain and simple.
see my post above........Thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well IMo if you get 2 90mm idlers then you may not be doing much as far as losing boost or belt slippage goes but if you add a 100mm or 2 100mm idlers into the set upo all it can do is help. You want the belt to wrap as much around the drive pulley as you can get. adding bigger idlers act as so to pinch sort of speak the belt around the drive pulley and help in preventing belt slippage and maybe even gt a half point of boost out of it if your set up was slipping prior. Just my .02
Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless you MOVE the pulley up closer to the nose of the blower, adding 90mm or 100mm idlers is not going to do anything.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn Blown you just wont give up. I guess your going to tell me giving a girl bigger **** wont make the distance between them smaller? Its math. 90+10=100 => 100>90 If your adding bigger pulleys then the distance between them is smaller. Therefore your pinching the belt more between the pulleys wich equals more belt wrap around the snout. Sliding them up or down has nothing to do with the distance between them. that never changes EXCEPT with bigger pulleys.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:33 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by 2005SSR6Speed
Watching mine on the dyno was scarey to say the least. We could not get a pull over 5000 rpm's with them on my setup.
I hear ya, I'm not saying the Metco's don't have their limits, but it would be nice if you told the whole story, like how you were throwing belts left and right until you installed the Metco's. Then you were able to drive, right?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by brobradh77
Damn Blown you just wont give up. I guess your going to tell me giving a girl bigger **** wont make the distance between them smaller? Its math. 90+10=100 => 100>90 If your adding bigger pulleys then the distance between them is smaller. Therefore your pinching the belt more between the pulleys wich equals more belt wrap around the snout. Sliding them up or down has nothing to do with the distance between them. that never changes EXCEPT with bigger pulleys.
bingo, if the visual isn't obvious, there is always math. Now that said, the gain was never tremendous. Magnuson's revised idler bracket makes a nice option to sliding the passenger idler pulley up closer to the blower pulley.

You have to remember though, back when I first did this mod, there was no such bracket.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah but i really dont care the new bracket set up. That udjustable idler does help in removing some slack but that about it. The alt. side idler bracket has that lip the old set up doesnt have that gave me a head ache when trying to switch to a better idler.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by moregrip
I hear ya, I'm not saying the Metco's don't have their limits, but it would be nice if you told the whole story, like how you were throwing belts left and right until you installed the Metco's. Then you were able to drive, right?

Actually it was the first set of pulley's (from another company) that walked off the bearing. I couldnt make it around the block. Then the Metco's didnt walk off the bearings (snap rings) but had a high speed wobble and wouldnt survive above 5000 rpm's under a load. Every part has a limit, the TBSS even ripped a water pump pulley off too.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you could, I like more info on the bigger **** theory

Quick Reply: Help! Radix Problem