FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Help! Radix Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not even sure how you did that with the pulley...either way after my swap I noticed about 1/2# boost increase.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:23 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brobradh77
I'm not even sure how you did that with the pulley...either way after my swap I noticed about 1/2# boost increase.
more than likely from the tighter belt

I did not do that mod, that is on a Modular Mustang motor.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for all the help guys. i still need to do a couple things to make this right... havent driven the truck much...
1 - pin crank
2 - grind the small spot from the alt bracket so the idler bracket sits flush
3 - possibly lose the pulleys.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definatley pin that crank
Old 01-13-2008, 10:51 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brobradh77
Definatley pin that crank
DOIT!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm the poster child for CRANK pinning/keying! On this RUN, the crank pulley spun, loosening the bolt. I only made the one run then started my 70 mile drive home...about half way home it started overheating. I pulled over to take a look and everything "appeared" to be working...at idle, the belt was turning, and my electric fans were on. I figured the thermostat must've stuck closed or open. I turned it off, checked the tension of the belt...felt fine, so I waited til it cooled down and started on my way again. Another 5 miles and it was over heating. This time I noticed that the crank pulley was canted up a bit, with the belt still in place. I crawled under and reached inside...the bolt was so loose I turned it by hand less than 3 revolutions and it dropped out!

Bottom line: The oil pan filled with metal filings and I lost an engine due to NOT pinning/keying the crank. The kicker is my engine builder asked me if I wanted him to key the pulley & crank, and I said no thanks! Obviously, that was before I had read anything about these troubles.

PIN IT! lol
Old 01-18-2008, 07:31 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatChs
I'm the poster child for CRANK pinning/keying! On this RUN, the crank pulley spun, loosening the bolt. I only made the one run then started my 70 mile drive home...about half way home it started overheating. I pulled over to take a look and everything "appeared" to be working...at idle, the belt was turning, and my electric fans were on. I figured the thermostat must've stuck closed or open. I turned it off, checked the tension of the belt...felt fine, so I waited til it cooled down and started on my way again. Another 5 miles and it was over heating. This time I noticed that the crank pulley was canted up a bit, with the belt still in place. I crawled under and reached inside...the bolt was so loose I turned it by hand less than 3 revolutions and it dropped out!

Bottom line: The oil pan filled with metal filings and I lost an engine due to NOT pinning/keying the crank. The kicker is my engine builder asked me if I wanted him to key the pulley & crank, and I said no thanks! Obviously, that was before I had read anything about these troubles.

PIN IT! lol
damn bro, that's a big kick in the nuts
Old 01-30-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump! im still getting alot of belt dust and now my belt is squeaking again. put a little water onto the belt and it goes away.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

por favor!?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by laynlow77
bump! im still getting alot of belt dust and now my belt is squeaking again. put a little water onto the belt and it goes away.
You may need to space the idlers out that have the shoulders on them. Look at the alignment of the belt and make sure that the belt is riding in the middle of the idlers. If the belt touches the shoulders on the idlers it will squeak.

Quick Reply: Help! Radix Problem