FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

HELP! random cylinder misfire after turbo/pcm install

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! random cylinder misfire after turbo/pcm install

hey guys, just installed KB's turbo kit and a nelson tuned PCM - cranked it up and it runs like complete **** and threw codes random cylinder misfire

any input?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds to me like the tune got corrupt somewhere between making and programming. Ive seen this happen quite a few times. Im not real sure what causes it. Give them a call and see what they think about this. Im sure they would send you another tune to fix it.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

turns out I just got mixed up, I had the bank 1 O2 sensor plugged into the female input for the O2 sensor that goes after the catalytic converter.. lol dumb mistake, but it fixed everything

I am running codes P0171 and P0174 Bank 1 and Bank 2 running lean.. idk wtf is up with that fuel pressure is good and everything
Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd highly suggest you take the truck to them and let them tune it in person if possible...it's just way more practical and safe IMHO
Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Those could be a vac leak.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Ah yes, the p0171 and p0174... Have had these codes from day 1 since i got tuned for the 60's...never had it with the 44's. Every one say vaccuum leak... not one.. smoke machined and all. I believe its something to do with tune and the large injectors
Old 03-22-2011, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

I had these codes on my 5.3 after a header install did the smoke and never found out what it was. Did a cam swap and they went away weird. If anyone has had this problem and found out what it was I would like to know for projects later down the road. If tune related what was done to correct the prob.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

Hmm I would get it tuned in person but I am 7 hours from Nelson

I checked the vacuum, I did have a line I tied off that might have been causing the codes but after I plugged it up and cleared the codes the codes came back- but no check engine light this time, but the codes were still there when I plugged the scanner in

I can clear them and then pretty much immediately they come right back, even at idle - but again with no check engine light
Old 03-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Just my two cents here, but even when I did a simple cai install on my nnbs, my truck started throwing po171 codes. Took me a month or so to actually find the real problem. No one could figure it out, and I even ran a breather filter from my passenger side valve cover to see if that would keep the code turned off. Everyone kept saying vacuum leak , but then I got the idea to run the factory breather line right back into the new aluminum intake tube (to complete the circuit that I had broken) and I haven't seen that damn code since. Im not saying that is your actual issue, but I am saying to possibly look at your PCV system for the fix
Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mang213
Just my two cents here, but even when I did a simple cai install on my nnbs, my truck started throwing po171 codes. Took me a month or so to actually find the real problem. No one could figure it out, and I even ran a breather filter from my passenger side valve cover to see if that would keep the code turned off. Everyone kept saying vacuum leak , but then I got the idea to run the factory breather line right back into the new aluminum intake tube (to complete the circuit that I had broken) and I haven't seen that damn code since. Im not saying that is your actual issue, but I am saying to possibly look at your PCV system for the fix
Good point I will check out my Pcv lines, I didn't touch them during the turbo install but maybe something is wrong with it and is showing itself now

Quick Reply: HELP! random cylinder misfire after turbo/pcm install