FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

HELP! random cylinder misfire after turbo/pcm install

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive heard some people say if u see 12.7 or higher @ wot get out of it..... anything higher than that is to lean...@ half throttle this should be ok if its just getting into boost.... is it in boost at 13's? If so give it around 75% throttle and see if your a/f drops some more, if it stays at 13 id contact nelson it will probably need to be richer... This is just my .02 im not a turbo wiz by no means but this is what i was tought recently :]
Old 03-23-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Swerve7rpm2000
ive heard some people say if u see 12.7 or higher @ wot get out of it..... anything higher than that is to lean...@ half throttle this should be ok if its just getting into boost.... is it in boost at 13's? If so give it around 75% throttle and see if your a/f drops some more, if it stays at 13 id contact nelson it will probably need to be richer... This is just my .02 im not a turbo wiz by no means but this is what i was tought recently :]
Yeah it is in the 13's when boost isn't there yet

I gave it a little more gas to see where it would go and it went down to the low 10's
Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Hey Txjeeptj, Did you get the random misfire taken care of? I plugged the vacuum port behind the throttle body, and put a filter on the vacuum line. It took care of the oil problem(Thank God). but I'm still getting the random misfire code and a very rough idle and rough low rpm cruise. Everything clears up as soon as I do go into boost though. does anyone know what I should check next? I looked for the pcv valve and did not find one. I'm going to search google images to see if I have any luck. Any help that anyone can give me here would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for hijacking your thread. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dirtdiggler02
Hey Txjeeptj, Did you get the random misfire taken care of? I plugged the vacuum port behind the throttle body, and put a filter on the vacuum line. It took care of the oil problem(Thank God). but I'm still getting the random misfire code and a very rough idle and rough low rpm cruise. Everything clears up as soon as I do go into boost though. does anyone know what I should check next? I looked for the pcv valve and did not find one. I'm going to search google images to see if I have any luck. Any help that anyone can give me here would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for hijacking your thread. Thanks.
yeah, the random misfire at idle was due to me having the driver's side O2 sensor plugged into the wrong pigtail (it would barely idle)

After the first test drive I had misfire codes, but after driving it a bit they went away and haven't been back even after a 8 hour trip and a week of driving.

If you don't have the PCV valve, hopefully someone here can advise you on what needs to be done- maybe you just have to convert it to PCV style? Your PCV hose should be coming off the middle of the intake on the driver's side and then plug into the valve cover near the back of the engine, which is where the check valve is (part that goes into the valve cover). How is your fuel pressure at idle?

Mine is running perfectly fine, I'm getting good number's on the A/F gauge. I'm just getting those stupid P0171 and P0174 codes even though I am not running lean it seems
Old 03-24-2011, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=TXjeepTJ;4668610]yeah, the random misfire at idle was due to me having the driver's side O2 sensor plugged into the wrong pigtail (it would barely idle)

After the first test drive I had misfire codes, but after driving it a bit they went away and haven't been back even after a 8 hour trip and a week of driving.

If you don't have the PCV valve, hopefully someone here can advise you on what needs to be done- maybe you just have to convert it to PCV style? Your PCV hose should be coming off the middle of the intake on the driver's side and then plug into the valve cover near the back of the engine, which is where the check valve is (part that goes into the valve cover). How is your fuel pressure at idle?

Mine is running perfectly fine, I'm getting good number's on the A/F gauge. I'm just getting those stupid P0171 and P0174 codes even though I am not running lean it seems[/QUOT

Thanks for gettng back to e so fast. I'm going to put my truck back up on the lift today to doublecheck how I connected those o2's. I hope I did the same thing you did. I pulled that hose off that goes from the middle of the intake to the rear of the drivers side valve cover and its just a hose. No pcv. My truck is an 04. So I guess they might havechanged this from 03 to 04. I used that vacuum port on the intake fo the bov. Anyway, ill tr to go get a ceck ball type pvc like Kyle said earlier in the thread. Thanks again and ill keep you guys posted.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdiggler02
Put a new set of spark plug in it. Sounds like a cracked one.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
yeah, the random misfire at idle was due to me having the driver's side O2 sensor plugged into the wrong pigtail (it would barely idle)

Mine is running perfectly fine, I'm getting good number's on the A/F gauge. I'm just getting those stupid P0171 and P0174 codes even though I am not running lean it seems

As stated before, this may not be your problem, but it might help you out. When I ran the crank vent hose back into my new cai, I did it from my passenger side valve cover, not from the driver's side. It's been a year and a half since I've seen the codes after performing that little mod
Old 03-25-2011, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Put a new set of spark plug in it. Sounds like a cracked one.
Hey, Thanks for helping me out. I just put new plugs and wires in it and its still giving me the same thing. I Had not connected the rear o2's because they were deleted in the tune. This came out in the scanner so I just re installed them. The code for that is gone, but the random misfire is still there. I checked for the misfires and the scanner says the misfires are in cylinders 2,4,6. if I'm facing the motor, where are cylinder #2,4,6? What sparkplugs do you recommend that I use? I also noticed that after the install my tranny doesn't go into overdrive. I'm gtting my *** kicked here. lol
Old 03-25-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

they are on the passenger side so looking at it from the front it is

8 7
6 5
4 3
2 1
Old 03-25-2011, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Andy. Just to make sure, cylinders 2 and 1 are in the front?

Quick Reply: HELP! random cylinder misfire after turbo/pcm install