FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

HELP! random cylinder misfire after turbo/pcm install

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

The even numbered cylinders are on the right, or passenger side of the motor.
Edit: wow, everybody at once. Yes, 1 is the front left cylinder, 2 is the front right (passenger).
Old 03-26-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I finally went WOT on the new turbo setup- a/f ratio reads low 10's and my fuel pressure is fine, but it is SLOW AS HELL and misfires like crazy (my 0-60mph improved .71 seconds over my stock 0-60mph..). The only code it throws other than the bs leans codes (caused from a cold start, a/f reads in the 17's until it warms up) is now P0300 (random cylinder misfire). I also plugged in a scanner that records the amount of misfires and shows the amount per cylinder. If I rev it up, ALL cylinders misfire a lot

I've been researching a lot on the misfires and a lot of people say a clogged catalytic converter- which I installed a 3" cat that has been sitting in my garage for a year or so. Do cats go bad? I wouldn't think they would

I also installed new plugs, ngk tr6, in my engine during the turbo install. I saw on here that some people said that you just leave them at the gapping they come with, maybe that is causing the misfires?

Last edited by TXjeepTJ; 03-26-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Cats definitely go bad, but you may want to research more about gapping those NGK's, because if ALL cylinders are misfiring, then I would suspect plugs to be your problem.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mang213
Cats definitely go bad, but you may want to research more about gapping those NGK's, because if ALL cylinders are misfiring, then I would suspect plugs to be your problem.
good thing I installed a cutout before the cat so I can test to see if it is the cat easily, even though my apartment complex will hate me

I'm more leaning towards it being the spark plugs, people were saying the gap on them from the factory is .039 and that you should gap them to .04, I'll double check though
Old 03-27-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

You aren't going to be able to reliably measure the difference between .039 and .040 inches on a plug gap.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
You aren't going to be able to reliably measure the difference between .039 and .040 inches on a plug gap.
yeah, but just to make sure if something didn't happen and they were set bigger than that

I checked them and they were all at about .0375 which should be fine. I also ran the scanner and monitored the o2 sensors which are showing good numbers and almost matching each other closely. My throttle % doesn't go below 15%, even when I am off the gas, but I'm sure that is because I am drive by wire- if I am wrong about this someone please tell me

I'm at a loss now.. I wonder how strong this thing would run when all cylinders are firing
Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Here is a video of what it is doing, when you rev it and hold it at a rev, everything seems to be fine except for a couple misfires that are not noticeable. Once I let off the gas for it to return back to idle, that is when everything goes crazy, as you can see the camera is even shaking because of the rough idle and you notice all the misfires taking place. The second time I record the misfires the engine dies once I let off the gas. Last clip is of a pretty much WOT run, which shows only cylinder 4 misfiring. I'm starting to think the idle and WOT misfires are not caused by the same thing

here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x6KBl0dlBE
Old 03-27-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Why so rich? Your cats will clog if you keep running that AFR, not to mention you're probably washing the cylinders.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Hey Tx. What you and I have happening is the same thing. It has a horrible idle, but it cleans up well under boost. How does it idle when it's cold? Mine is just fine until it starts warming up. I hope someone can figure this out. I'm starting to think it's in the tune. Maybe it was corrupted somewhere along the line?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dirtdiggler02
Hey Tx. What you and I have happening is the same thing. It has a horrible idle, but it cleans up well under boost. How does it idle when it's cold? Mine is just fine until it starts warming up. I hope someone can figure this out. I'm starting to think it's in the tune. Maybe it was corrupted somewhere along the line?
I'm starting to think the tune also..Mine is also good until it warms up

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Why so rich? Your cats will clog if you keep running that AFR, not to mention you're probably washing the cylinders.
It is running rich? my AFR is 14-14.8 at idle and when the idle starts getting rough it goes to the 17's (only while it is idling rough). when just driving it stays in the 13's. At WOT it dips into the 10's and low 11's.

Quick Reply: HELP! random cylinder misfire after turbo/pcm install