FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

High IATs - Causes and solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This isn't totally related, but what injectors are you running?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhpro
Spent the day on the dyno yest to make some passes with and without the cats...they're all good. It was noteable tho that we ran it with open headers and it lost 80rwhp. We pulled ~440rwhp and 501tq (uncorrected) in the cooler weather. As its tuned pretty conservatively with only 14* timing, I suspect that if we crank it up a bit with the coller temps now it'll prob find another 60ish ponies. Either way, its a beast and I'm pretty happy - and so's the State after my speeding ticket! It'll get fixed up once we play around with cams and pulleys over the next few months.
I'll try and post the new Dyno results today...R/
On the lost 80hp run did you guy's get A/F readings? The truck is tuned 2 bar OL SD which means if you free up a big restriction it could really screw up the tune which will cause a major drop in HP like the one listed.The vehicle should lose 0hp at most on open headers but will lose torque.. If there was a true drop in power I would think you guy's found something which could be the cause of the lost hp.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zippy
This isn't totally related, but what injectors are you running?
60# ers...R/
Old 09-20-2007, 06:37 AM
TECH Regular

I think that I read all of these posts and I didn't see where you verified that the IAT sensor is accurate. Has this been done? I replace them from time to time due to overly high readings. If you have data compare it to ambient after it's sat overnight before it's running.

Vernon
Old 09-20-2007, 07:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
I think that I read all of these posts and I didn't see where you verified that the IAT sensor is accurate. Has this been done? I replace them from time to time due to overly high readings. If you have data compare it to ambient after it's sat overnight before it's running.

Vernon
Ambiant temp before startup in morning. As temp got higher engine would start pinging. Pretty easy to check.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic

Vernon
The only thing though (barring not going back thru the thread to quote) his tuner says there is TONs of pinging if you don't back the spark off. Leads me to believe there is an actual heat issue if the pinging is true.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

LATEST: did 1400 miles in last 10days...pissing oil all over the place. Before all the miles found small oil pool on top on head covers and on pass side motor mount. After all the miles whole bottom of truck is covered, had to add 2 qrts so far. All the plug heat socks are soaked. Valve covers dont seem to be the prob as the heads are clean above the headers. Drivers side looks like a small head gasket leak...gonna do a leak down test and see if the cylinders have been washed down and my rings are shot (hopefully not or at least its only rings if so ). Half way thru the mileage the SNOW meth pump went haywire and drowned my engione in fluid stalling the motor...thankfully it didn't hydrolock! I'm guessing this is the ultimate reason for the high IAT/low power probs...the scarey part is my builder/installer think we only need to retorq the heads! It'll be headed back to the shop in the next few weeks. I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING BAD I EVER SAID ABOUT ANYTHING AND EVERYBODY - PLS JUST MAKE MY CAR RUN BEFORE I GO BROKE
Old 09-26-2007, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Sorry you are having so many problems with your build. I am sure you will get it all sorted out. I don't think re-torqing the heads is going to fix your problem. Did you ever think about having it checked out by another mechanic?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagged7104SS
Sorry you are having so many problems with your build. I am sure you will get it all sorted out. I don't think re-torqing the heads is going to fix your problem. Did you ever think about having it checked out by another mechanic?
YA...already got that planned altho its a tough nut to swallow if I gotta have the motor pulled, rings redone, block rebored...etc. Original builder is still on the hook to get it right whereas if I switch its on my dime! Its almost worth taking a vacation to fix it myself!
Old 09-26-2007, 03:37 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

damn bro....

Quick Reply: High IATs - Causes and solutions?