FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

High IATs - Causes and solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:18 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The pump was working yesterday on the dyno. Cruising the temp went as low as 130degree's but after a run from 0-100mph is was sky rocketing. I see the only reason is that we are over spinning the blower to the point it just makes heat.With that heat I had to drop timing about 6 degree's from the first setup(7lbs) to keep it from detinating. The blower is just too small for the combo from what I see. Or should I say it's good down low but weezes up top.Sure,pure meth will drop the temps alot but it will use a ton of it and you can never run out.

I'm just use to Turbo's and centrificals with A-A intercoolers.I freek when intake temps hit 120 degree's. My personal truck would actually drop 20 degree's under ambiant with the turbo,intercooler and meth.
But pure meth smells so good!

I tend to freak these days too lol. I can't wait to get used to being below ambient... At idle here, my fans draw enough air to chill my IC :devil I'm gonna love the fall I think...

I'm really surprised that big thing is wheezing. I thought they'd do a lil better with the big cube motors
Old 09-08-2007, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I gave up on running twin screw superchargers I learned of a modification that might help. I was talking to ROE Racing. They run 3.3 Whipples on the SRT-10 Dodge trucks. One of the major causes of the sc getting so hot is the bypass air recirculation system. You need it because it allows the sc to be efficent while in vacuum, however it is always recirculating hot discharge air back through the sc which continues to keep the case extra hot. They have had great sucess in lowering the IAT temps by taking the bypass air and running it through a second small intercooler before feeding it back into the supercharger.
I still however think that the avaliable twin screws, other than maybe a 5.0 whipple are just to small for the larger displacement or highly modified engines. They have to be overdriven to much to get more than 10 lbs of boost and just make to much heat. In fact on the Whipple site for big block boat applications they suggest running twin 2.3 superchargers, one for each bank.
I think that turbos are the way to go with highly modified or larger displacement engines. I have certainily tried almost everything to get the twin screws to work properly without satisfactory results.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lemme just say we've been doing all this in 80+* humid temps. Still I must admit that I'm surprised how little effect the meth had. WW fluid has to be at least -20* type hich is typically 48-52% meth (check the SNOWPERFORMANCE web site for more on this). I imagine at some point I'll upgrade to the Alkycontrol so I can run 100% meth, but I'm not spending any more cash til I drive it for a bunch of miles. Its got plenty of torq which will make me happy between stop signs . Next step will be to see what differences we get once outdoor temps cool, then once I'm reacquainted with it I might be willing to part with it again to change the cam. R/
Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't given up on the MP122 yet...BUT IT WUD BE REAL NICE TO HEAR WHAT SOMEONE FROM MAGGIE HAS TO SAY ON THIS!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

With my 122 I am seeing about 30* above ambient temp just cruising. On a wot run I see about 45*-50* above. I am running a 3.0 pully and no meth, I am not sure why your's is so high.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by bagged7104SS
With my 122 I am seeing about 30* above ambient temp just cruising. On a wot run I see about 45*-50* above. I am running a 3.0 pully and no meth, I am not sure why your's is so high.
His was like that until the smaller blower pulley and overdrive crank pulley. More spin= more heat
Old 09-10-2007, 01:34 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you need to investigate the intercooler system and the pump. Those temps are higher than an un intercooled MP90 with a 2.8 pulley feeding a 6.0L.

Before we start with the bandwagon about IAT's and the RADIX....there are PLENTY of people on the GTO Forum and the Corvette Forum making over 595 rwhp on stock motors. Don't get discouraged, work through your problems, you will appreciate it more
Old 09-10-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did Maggie offer any pearls Brian?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:01 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dhpro
Did Maggie offer any pearls Brian?
Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I think you need to investigate the intercooler system and the pump.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Had the I/C checked for a 3rd time...wiring good, flow good. R/

Quick Reply: High IATs - Causes and solutions?