FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

high oil preesure + turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KHester84
read too into it.
No worries dude, I do that all the time. Then people have to tell me that the question in my post has been answered
Old 12-14-2010, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

I do have a -8 drain line, and I just got off of the prone with Rick, and that's what we were talking about. My question is, how do you get the -10 line out of the turbo, because my -8 line just fits.

Oh yea, and it smokes a lot worse when it's cold. Should I also switch to 0-30 oil?
Old 12-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brent1976
I do have a -8 drain line, and I just got off of the prone with Rick, and that's what we were talking about. My question is, how do you get the -10 line out of the turbo, because my -8 line just fits.

Oh yea, and it smokes a lot worse when it's cold. Should I also switch to 0-30 oil?
I have dealt with this issue. The things that you will need are -10 return (no if, and's, or but's), Make sure you don't have a angled fitting coming off for your return (Nelson racing engines makes a nice straight pipe to -10 fitting), and check your PCV system for proper operation. These small checks will save you the headache. PCV is crucial along with your return line being straight and big enough. Especially with that amount of oil pressure. Oil when it hits that turbo at high temps. and velocity becomes frothy. This causes pockets in the Turbo oil return line which can back up that flow!

Good luck! :nunchuk1:
Old 12-15-2010, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 07LTrquick
The things that you will need are -10 return (no if, and's, or but's), Make sure you don't have a angled fitting coming off for your return
what he said
Old 12-15-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A -10 surprises me. That seems huge for an oil return when you are running a .060 hole on the pressure side.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

The parts to make my oil drain -10 will be here soon. I am having a hard time believing it will fix my problem, but I will do it. The inside of the fittings are 100ths of an inch bigger on the inside, and like gadget said my feed line is tiny in comparison, and I have a .025 restrictor in it.

We will see next week.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I put a -12 on mine, just to avoid issues, I think lol
Old 12-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brent1976
The parts to make my oil drain -10 will be here soon. I am having a hard time believing it will fix my problem, but I will do it. The inside of the fittings are 100ths of an inch bigger on the inside, and like gadget said my feed line is tiny in comparison, and I have a .025 restrictor in it.

We will see next week.
I know it sounds like a long shot when your trying to run down this problem. Make sure that your PCV is working exceptionally well. I know it sounds redundant, but it is something I see people least expect. There is a lot of "crank whip" down there. Also where is your return located in comparison to the bottom mating surface of the block?

Secondly you have to remember the more you restrict the oil supply line in "comparison" to your main oil pressure. It is adding more velocity with less flow! Something to ponder over?

Glad I could help!
Old 12-17-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07LTrquick
I have dealt with this issue. The things that you will need are -10 return (no if, and's, or but's), Make sure you don't have a angled fitting coming off for your return (Nelson racing engines makes a nice straight pipe to -10 fitting), and check your PCV system for proper operation. These small checks will save you the headache. PCV is crucial along with your return line being straight and big enough. Especially with that amount of oil pressure. Oil when it hits that turbo at high temps. and velocity becomes frothy. This causes pockets in the Turbo oil return line which can back up that flow!

Good luck! :nunchuk1:
The pictures others have posted and even the turbo on the Hemi all have a 90* bend on the oil outlet. I was thinking of putting a line that goes straight down instead and have a long "L" loop line to the pump. The longer the line the more oil can get backed up before the oil pump and still not put pressure on the turbo. If the line going to the pump is short and the pump is slow to keep up when you go WOT the oil gets trapped behind it and makes the buzzer go off and will eventually make the turbo start leaking.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a quick diagram I did to illustrate what I want to do. So on top of running bigger(-10) lines I want to use a pipe that goes straight down instead of the 90* bend and move the oil pump so I can have more line between it and the turbo.

I know it looks like an Etch-a-Sketch, lol.

Quick Reply: high oil preesure + turbo