FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

high oil preesure + turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LTrquick
I know it sounds like a long shot when your trying to run down this problem. Make sure that your PCV is working exceptionally well. I know it sounds redundant, but it is something I see people least expect. There is a lot of "crank whip" down there. Also where is your return located in comparison to the bottom mating surface of the block?

Secondly you have to remember the more you restrict the oil supply line in "comparison" to your main oil pressure. It is adding more velocity with less flow! Something to ponder over?

Glad I could help!
Both valve covers are vented to a catch can with a filter on top. I checked it last night, and it had a little more than a table spoon in it, and I haven't checked it for more than a month.

My return line is vertical, until it gets to the ac pump, then it gradually slopes to the oil pan. It goes into the oil pan about 5-6" back from the front of the pan, as close to the top as my fitting would allow.

I never had any problems until it started getting cold out. Under 20*, and it smokes some, but not enough to worry me to much. Under 10*, and I feel like a douche at stop lights. All the stuff to make the drains -10 should be here next week, so hopefully that fixes everything.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Holly *****!! So that ambient temp. is really really LOW! You could get away with running a super light oil. Like 0W30 or somehting.
I should have brought this to my attention and asked you about that. This could be an issue as we all know that at very (hot) extreme conditions. The oil that we use may only be good for a couple thousand miles and begin to break down even sooner. The same goes for the opposite affect. Durring extreme low temps. if you do not run the engine for a couple of weeks (or days). Engine oil that the factorys recommend may start to break down sooner then we expect. Check your return line by sticking a (long stick) small screw driver down there to see if there is build up. This could also be forming on the inside of the turbo? These are all issues that you can check fairly quick. It is worth the investigation!

Just rememeber checking things over is not a dumb move. Does not matter what anyone says. Especially since custom/aftermarket equipment does tend to play tricks with us sometimes!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Teching In

I also forgot to tell you that since you have been applying boost. If your smoking alot durring startup and also sitting at lights. You may have a leaky exhaust vlave stem seal. This is very VERY common with the GM engines with stock vlave terrain, that have been seeing boost!

Just and FYI.
I think that is all for now until I here back from you.

Good luck man!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

im gonna say return, I think Im actually pushing some oil there now, as well as PCV problems, i may put a little restrictor on my -4, and check my drain,
Old 12-18-2010, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

I took the drain line off, and looked through it last week, it just looked oily inside.

Yesterday, I went for a drive for about 45 minutes. The first 15-20 minutes it smoked some when I stopped, but after that it didn't at all, just the usual exhaust, no oily smell.

This morning, I took off the pcv line and pushed a piece of rag through them, and it came out oily, but not soaked with oil. I am begining to believe maybe when it's cold out the oil just doesn't drain fast enough. Hopefully the bigger drain line fixes it, but if it doesn't I will change the oil to 0-30 in the winter months from now on.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Alright.... This is good. Get that -10 on there and see what she does. It is best that you do switch oil durring the winter. As it will see no where near the temps. you would see in the summer!
Old 12-18-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by brent1976
I took the drain line off, and looked through it last week, it just looked oily inside.

Yesterday, I went for a drive for about 45 minutes. The first 15-20 minutes it smoked some when I stopped, but after that it didn't at all, just the usual exhaust, no oily smell.

This morning, I took off the pcv line and pushed a piece of rag through them, and it came out oily, but not soaked with oil. I am begining to believe maybe when it's cold out the oil just doesn't drain fast enough. Hopefully the bigger drain line fixes it, but if it doesn't I will change the oil to 0-30 in the winter months from now on.
I have been running 5w30syn mobil1 in my truck with a 10an return with a mpt-76. I have had temps around -30 below zero for over a week with no oiling problems. I'm not sure if it is from the larger return, but I did the 10 line just in case. Lol, my intake temps were -15 on my log last night.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AkSSS
I have been running 5w30syn mobil1 in my truck with a 10an return with a mpt-76. I have had temps around -30 below zero for over a week with no oiling problems. I'm not sure if it is from the larger return, but I did the 10 line just in case. Lol, my intake temps were -15 on my log last night.
Damn, does it feel like it makes about 75 extra hp with those iat's. Mine feels like it make quite a few extra on really cold days.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by brent1976
Damn, does it feel like it makes about 75 extra hp with those iat's. Mine feels like it make quite a few extra on really cold days.
Something like that. There is two things that stop me from stomping on it in that cold. I kinda wonder what 15psi would do with -15 iat's? And everytime I get over about 4 or 5 psi, it just brakes loose and I can hardly hang on to it!

Man, I can't wait for summer!