FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Homebuilt rear mount MP T-70 LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homebuilt rear mount MP T-70 LQ4

I been collecting parts for a couple months, I finally got a change to whip something up.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

It was a very easy build to do, I did it in a week, about 2 hours everynight, and one weekend. But I've had to do a lot of tweaking after I have it driving.

Master power T-70 .96 a/r
XS power 38mm wastegate 5.8psi spring
XS power blow off valve
XS power 12x24x4 intercooler
Tilton diff oil cooler pump
plus bends, couplers, hoses, etc, etc

Pcv system - very simple and seems to work
-valve type PCV valve in driver side valve cover
- valve cover breather off a Moroso SBC valve cover clamped around a pipe, and rigged up to a hose that hooks into the pass side valve cover vent port.

Oil system
-feed from oil cooler line block off plate
-inline hydraulic check valve, to stop oil siphoning when the engines off (I missed this part at first and filled the intake and intercooler with oil)
-Tilton Oil pump, wiring to come on with the fuel pump
-return line to the pass valve (drilled and tapped)
Old 08-01-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good man, wont belong till you are wanting more boost.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have since move the wastegate line to the intake, and added a bleed off valve to adjust the boost. I have a small air compressor regulator I want to use, so it don't have a boost leak, I couldn't figure out how to pipe it in.

I Flipped the wastegate up, and added a muffler that I made, kind of the like the one you can get from STS. It was way loud.

I still only have a foot of exhaust pipe out the back of the turbo, I'm not sure if I should put a muffler on it or not. I like hearing the turbo spooling all the time, its quiet in the cab, except at idle, and WOT. I was thinging about ditching the spare tire and putting C5/C6 style quad exhaust tips in the middle of the roll pan, should look cool.

installed tr6 spark plugs gapped to .035" (It missed under boost with the stock plugs)
Old 08-01-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by southern_chevy
Looks good man, wont belong till you are wanting more boost.
Oh don't worry, i'm going to crank it once I get the tuning figured out.

Right now its scary fast, I love it. I just worry about getting into trouble with this thing.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Looks real good. Stainless is the way to go
Old 08-01-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great, was that a kit, or did you do the fab work?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks AWESOME man! I bet that thing runs! Some time's I wish I had more cubic inches, but then I would just break more stuff,

How does it spool?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:40 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very impressive man!! I love it!!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tootall
looks great, was that a kit, or did you do the fab work?
No kit here, I bought some mandrel bends and some pipe, and welded it together. The charge piping is alumized steel, mig welded, with welds buffed smooth, then painted. The exhaust is 316L stainless, welded to the factory y pipe, after the ball socket. I would have liked to tig weld it all but I don't have one, so mig had to do.

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Looks AWESOME man! I bet that thing runs! Some time's I wish I had more cubic inches, but then I would just break more stuff,

How does it spool?
Spooling, there is a second or two lag right off the line. On a down shift its like a second or less to full boost. On the highway if I push the resume button on the cruise control it puts it into boost everytime. Now I don't have it tuned very good right now, so that may affect the spooling a little. I you really notice the more timing I give it the longer it seems to take to spool. Also when the exhaust is cold, it takes forever to spool.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02Z71
No kit here, I bought some mandrel bends and some pipe, and welded it together. The charge piping is alumized steel, mig welded, with welds buffed smooth, then painted. The exhaust is 316L stainless, welded to the factory y pipe, after the ball socket. I would have liked to tig weld it all but I don't have one, so mig had to do.

Spooling, there is a second or two lag right off the line. On a down shift its like a second or less to full boost. On the highway if I push the resume button on the cruise control it puts it into boost everytime. Now I don't have it tuned very good right now, so that may affect the spooling a little. I you really notice the more timing I give it the longer it seems to take to spool. Also when the exhaust is cold, it takes forever to spool.
Sweet! Wrapping the exhaust pipe with header wrap from the manifolds back to the turbo will help a TON in getting it to spool. I know EXACLY what you mean about spooling it when its all cold,

Quick Reply: Homebuilt rear mount MP T-70 LQ4