FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

how to increase fuel economy with a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to increase fuel economy with a turbo

I hear back and forth about turbos increasing fuel economy and then i hear they don't. What i want to know is how to make one increase economy along with power and torque. Mainly while towing should i have a big turbo for low boost at operating rpm and high exhauat flow or does that even matter? Or do i want a quick spool. And other mods change fuel economy also like i big cam decreases economy right? Would high flow heads increase it? Anyways you get what I'm asking answers will be apriciated. Oh yea some time ago a post about a Tahoe or sone type of gm suv was saying they went from 12 mpg to like 19 that's the kind of mileage I'm looking for because i don't wanna go diesel just yet because they are to expensive and super unreliable these last few years by the way i have a 2007 2500hd 6.0L with a rig welder set up I'm a pipeline welder so like 3,000 lbs extra wieght everyday and a 6,000 lb trailer to and from jobs several times a year and fuel ajd torque kill me
Old 09-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Gas mileage while adding an extra 9000 lbs. just not gonna happen.
Yes a DD can make better mileage while cruising but the truck is more fun to drive so you push the go pedal more. And usually harder loosing the benifits of the turbo.

For pulling that weight on regulat bases.
I would do a 75/87 but wouldnt expect any gas milage increase.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 254 Likes on 165 Posts

A diesel is ultra reliable, great mileage and longivety. Shop around for the right deal.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 AM
TECH Resident

You can get a 12 valve cummins for less than you will spend setting up your truck with a turbo. It's not going to be fancy though.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Another fuel mileage/power dreamer with a gas 3/4 ton truck....

Bottom line; it's not going to happen like you think. Should have bought a diesel. Unreliable? You must know people who drive Ford diesels
Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Another fuel mileage/power dreamer with a gas 3/4 ton truck....

Bottom line; it's not going to happen like you think. Should have bought a diesel. Unreliable? You must know people who drive Ford diesels

Sad but true..

I put a BW S475 on mine truck and my mileage hasnt changed.. it went down a lil while towing cause its too fun not to mash on it and listen to the whistle.

I saw the same mileage with the STS turbo kit, N/A, and Front Mount kit.. So nope, not gonna help especially with a 2500HD..

We finished a bed on my brothers 2000 Dodge 3500 Cummins with a Lincoln pipe liner welder and all the goodies. It still gets 18+mpg with all that stuff on there and him driving it.
Diesel is the way to go if your gonna be carring around alot of weight all the time..
Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more air you put in, the more fuel you use. The turbo just helps get more efficiency out of what you put in, so fuel mileage isn't boosted all that much by a turbo.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
so fuel mileage isn't boosted all that much by a turbo.
...or, at all.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of the heavier trucks and 4.8 trucks have seen mileage increases. Basically underpowered trucks for their weight seem to gain some mileage when tuned well but in your case I'd just get a diesel.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Import Moderator

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
so fuel mileage isn't boosted all that much by a turbo.
Regardless of whether it does/doesn't... you're going to spend between $4,000-$4,500 and still have to run a higher octane of fuel than what you're running now to save 1-2 mpg? If you want to boost to help pull your trailer around and what not, go for it... but imo if you're doing it solely to see mpg increase just save the money for the pump. At the very most you will save yourself around 3 gallons per fill up ($12) if you can keep your foot out of boost. Assuming you fill up once a week that's approx. $625/year... it would take you 6.5 years for the turbo to start paying for itself not factoring in higher octane fuel costs.

Quick Reply: how to increase fuel economy with a turbo