FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

How many have gone from radix to turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:32 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chevrolade
I didnt want to get anyone fired up here,im just wanting to get some facts on turbos.soon i will drop a 6.0 in here and ditch the 4.8,maube at that time kb will have a kit for the nnbs
Not fired up at all! I enjoy the conversation.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:42 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ He knows which is better....And it Dont start with a "R"
Old 01-14-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i wouldve waited 2 months,i wouldve had a tvs

Last edited by chevrolade; 01-14-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
^^^ He knows which is better....And it Dont start with a "R"
TVS?

I am out again.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by parish8
you have a point but the key to any good set up is having a combo that works well together for what you want to do.
Exactly, no argument here. My point is, if you get a turbo thinking you will have power in your regular day-to-day driving, unless you are whacko with your go pedal, you will not feel power most of the time. You will have power on tap ALL of the time with a modified-roots like the Radix or TVS.

Again, don't get me wrong - I absolutely love turbos - power comes on hard, keeps pulling (with amazing G-force that keeps you in your seat) - just love it for racing around or just plain racing. But, for daily driving, I'll take my blower.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:13 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maddboost
Are you running a off the shelf kit or a custom one from Trick? If off the shelf is it their high mount or low mount?
STD Trick Front mount, Turbonetcs, T76, .68, and .96 AR, Nelson I/C, 3'' Dp, full 3'' exhaust, 14psi

-2003 GMC 4x4 RC
-01 6.0L
-Hand ported 317's, stock valves
-Isky cam, and springs
-Head studs
-60LB injectors, 255 pump, Meth inj
-Truck intake, stock TB, MAFS
-4L80E, shift kit, yank 3400, 3.73 gears

Beat on that combo for about 7 months, until the stock short block let go in vegas. Truck was my everyday daily driver, pump gas, and driven to the track everytime. only thing removed from the truck was tail gate, spare, and in vegas I had to remove the hood due to excessive heat. I don't think it was anything spectacular but for what it was it ran ok. I think there is more left in the combo at low elevation, with a good short block. Im happy with the trick kit, and have had no problems with the pipes. I think Kyle has a good kit as well, and I wouldn't hesitate to run his kit.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:19 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
Exactly, no argument here. My point is, if you get a turbo thinking you will have power in your regular day-to-day driving, unless you are whacko with your go pedal, you will not feel power most of the time. You will have power on tap ALL of the time with a modified-roots like the Radix or TVS.

Again, don't get me wrong - I absolutely love turbos - power comes on hard, keeps pulling (with amazing G-force that keeps you in your seat) - just love it for racing around or just plain racing. But, for daily driving, I'll take my blower.
i agree to some extent but it isn't exactly like you are making it out to be. sure if you light foot it everywhere you will not see any boost. same goes for the blowers. any time there is suficent load you will see boost. that includes every time you pull away from a stop light at anything more than a normal persons rate of aceleration. it might not build the split second you roll into it but it will only take a fraction of a sec or so.

one good example is my 408 with a pt88. i would consider that a pretty slow spooling set up. rolling down the highway with a ~2000lb trailer it would get into 3-4psi while the cruise was set. thats at under 2000rpm and a very light trailer. any time i encounter a hill that would normaly cause a 5.3 to down shift it would just lug along and build a little boost. towing with a turbo is wonderfull. my whipple and i am sure a radix is very similur, when there is a load the boost comes on. i would not call that a racing aplication.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

^^^ good points

When I ran into tranny trouble 300 miles from home, my truck would completely slip the gear when it would downshift to 3rd. I went thru some pretty decent hills with the 4.8 and not once did the computer shift into 3rd, which would have made my turn off the cruise. It would just build boost and run straight up the hills as needed. I also could pass very easily, all in 4th gear at 70 MPH.

Part thottle, small daily driving, I get into boost very easy on city driving. As soon as it shifts into second it loads up the turbo and starts making boost, even though the TB is partially closed.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:29 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can stay out of boost all week (if I wanted to) I can spin the rears without going into boost, accelerate faster than most people do off the line without going into boost. If I want boost all i need to do is give it a little more throttle. Just chiming in
Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was told that i would lose boost after z06 cam install,well i didnt,im still at 7psi,going on 9-10soon,just talked to joe

Quick Reply: How many have gone from radix to turbo?