FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

How many have gone from radix to turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnss
I run a front mount set up. I dont DD it not that i cant. Its just i cant keep my foot out of it to save my a$$. i got 4 tickets the first month i had it. i wouldnt ever take it on a road trip either. but it does make great power i ran a magna charged truck just like mine from a roll and took him by 3 car we both were runing 7 psi. the only difference was i had one more passanger. but no matter how you get the boost its fun.
is that due to it's ticket getting abilities or a dependability issue? I'm guessing the former as these kits seem to be pretty dependable with the right support system
Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i took my 1000+hp truck on more than one 1000+mile road trip and ran it down the track something like 50 times on one of these road trips. my truck was very dependable while i was keeping it under 1000hp.

the turbo kits are not oem reliable like the radix but they are fine for most car savy guys. if i was trying to sell more power to someone with no car sence i would point them toward the radix.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Good points on both sides of the fence; this discussion is more civilized than most, which is great.

What I would like to see is a twin-turbo LS1 kit with properly-sized turbos, such that you don't need an aftermarket TC to get things moving. The gold standard IMO is the BMW 135i/335i/535i twin-turbo powerplant. Zero lag off-idle and steady pull up to redline (if you haven't driven one, I recommend some time in the driver's seat of the 535i...better all-around than the 550i).

People jump into the black hole of turbos and forget that what should be included in the total cost of ownership is (1) the cost of a high-quality converter, (2) converter installtion costs, (3) tuning for both the motor and tranny.

If someone were to make a kit comparable to BMW's setup (no lag, no need for an aftermarket TC), that was more reliable than the dozens of one-offs you see around here, I bet that person would make a ****-ton of money.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

It seems a lot of 4L80e guys use the stock tc, eliminating the costs for 1 and 2, and I wouldn't think tuning turbo applications would cost much different than for a blower. But i don't know.

Originally Posted by parish8
i took my 1000+hp truck on more than one 1000+mile road trip and ran it down the track something like 50 times on one of these road trips. my truck was very dependable while i was keeping it under 1000hp.

the turbo kits are not oem reliable like the radix but they are fine for most car savy guys. if i was trying to sell more power to someone with no car sence i would point them toward the radix.
Thats good to know, if things work out my way i'm plannin on slappin one on in the spring. that last sentence of your post is quote worthy for somebody i'm sure...
Old 01-14-2009, 11:08 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Drove my truck fron central Ca to colorado springs, and from colorado springs to Las vegas with just that minor problem in vegas that required me to fly back to Co, and get the Dmax & trailer
Old 01-14-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by wastedrubber
that last sentence of your post is quote worthy for somebody i'm sure...
Hmm, missed that.

if i was trying to sell more power to someone with no car sence i would point them toward the radix.
That's harsh. Perhaps someone wants more power but wants to install and forget (i.e. doesn't want to mess with this or that breaking or needing adjusting over time). That kind of person would be an ideal Magnacharger owner.

Some people have plenty of car sense, but are beyond the stage of enjoying working on their vehicle, of wanting to spend hours in/under their car/truck. Some want OEM reliability. These people should stay away from turbos and take a look at a Radix/TVS.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:28 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
Hmm, missed that.

That's harsh. Perhaps someone wants more power but wants to install and forget (i.e. doesn't want to mess with this or that breaking or needing adjusting over time). That kind of person would be an ideal Magnacharger owner.

Some people have plenty of car sense, but are beyond the stage of enjoying working on their vehicle, of wanting to spend hours in/under their car/truck. Some want OEM reliability. These people should stay away from turbos and take a look at a Radix/TVS.
i wasn't trying to be harsh. just saying if i owned a business and someone came in wanting more power i would listen to them and evaluate their skills and tolerance for issues. i would feel good selling a radix to anyone and know they would be good to go for tens of thousands of miles no matter what they do with their truck. while a turbo isn't hard to live with there will be things to pay atention to from time to time and likely a little more matainance or even a repair every now and then.

Last edited by parish8; 01-15-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Buy the magnacharger, chances are you'll love it and it'll be all you ever need. If you get really power hungry later, you can always sell the maggie and get a turbo.

I say this because fence riders should go with maggies. Turbos are for diehard wrench turning power junkies that can't imagine having to change a pulley to get a few more pownds of boost.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowec
Buy the magnacharger, chances are you'll love it and it'll be all you ever need. If you get really power hungry later, you can always sell the maggie and get a turbo.

I say this because fence riders should go with maggies. Turbos are for diehard wrench turning power junkies that can't imagine having to change a pulley to get a few more pownds of boost.
The OP already has a magnacharger.

"Die hard wrench turning power junkies"?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:21 PM
How do I change this text

You can have a ton of problems with a Radix if you want to push everything to the limit... Keep it semi reasonable they do require less maintenance over a turbo....

Quick Reply: How many have gone from radix to turbo?