FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

How Much Boost before Meth is Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:25 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Boost before Meth is Needed?

Talking FM Turbo, how much boost would I be OK with on a stock LQ4 before Meth needs to be run? Lots of load on this 6000# tank, I would assume that would make a difference. Also Same question but with running a Radix?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:38 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I bet you could run 10 psi pretty easy before needing meth
Old 05-09-2007, 08:41 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think it's a necessity to run meth at any given boost level but meth will lower IAT's and increase octane so that less timing is pulled.
What are your IAT's?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trever1t
I dont think it's a necessity to run meth at any given boost level but meth will lower IAT's and increase octane so that less timing is pulled.
What are your IAT's?
Any ideas as to how much time is gained from using meth in the Qtr? My maggie is only pushing 5 lbs of boost but I've got the 3.0 pulley waiting to go on.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSThunder03
Any ideas as to how much time is gained from using meth in the Qtr? My maggie is only pushing 5 lbs of boost but I've got the 3.0 pulley waiting to go on.
what you'd get from meth is more spark as trever1t is "eluding" to. More spark is more power on most occassions (not always true). SO it's hard to say what you'd get, versus another application. at 5psi, you'll be amazed how much more power is wating at 7psi. And then 9psi and then 10psi.... and then and then and then and then and then and then. Sorry...crazy morning. You have tuning ability?

btw, I don't run meth on the street and I am at 19* spark, 8.x#'s of boost. Of course...19 degrees doesn't last long before the IAT's cause them to come down, hence meth or water.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:20 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a turbo, you get more boost with meth.

To the OP -- are you running an intercooler? If so, then you don't *need* meth, but meth is always a benefit -- it reduces IATs AND adds a metric **** load of octane. If you aren't running an IC, then meth would be necessary for more than 7-8 lbs of boost imo.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:22 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my rule of thumb is 6.5psi non intercooled and 9psi intercooled before you need race fuel or meth. this is based on a few diferent set ups and watching the knock sensors closely. a higher compresion lq9 or ls1 would probably be a little lower.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:51 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Cool, I'm hoping to run a dual boost controller at about 5psi daily and tuned for 8-9psi for those special ocassions. Does this sound doable. I'm no expert, but seems that if I have it tuned for a higher boost, running the lower boost daily would be safer. Am I thinking right? I will have an IC, will air/air be good enough?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:59 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCountryx
Cool, I'm hoping to run a dual boost controller at about 5psi daily and tuned for 8-9psi for those special ocassions. Does this sound doable. I'm no expert, but seems that if I have it tuned for a higher boost, running the lower boost daily would be safer. Am I thinking right? I will have an IC, will air/air be good enough?

sure, sounds like a good plan. running less boost will reduce wear on everything. good luck sticking to that plan though . the boost is adictive.

air to air will be fine as long as it is large enough. something like the standard 12x24x3" unit would be pleanty.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:11 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by parish8
sure, sounds like a good plan. running less boost will reduce wear on everything. good luck sticking to that plan though . the boost is adictive.

air to air will be fine as long as it is large enough. something like the standard 12x24x3" unit would be pleanty.
I can only imagine how addictive boost is, It's my DD so maybe I can use that as motivation to not blow it up........for a while anyway.

Good to know on the IC setup.

You may see me on the side of the road holding a sign soon.........WILL WORK FOR TURBO!

Quick Reply: How Much Boost before Meth is Needed?