FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

How Much Boost before Meth is Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been running meth on my non-intercooled centrifugal for about 20 months. Like Parrish said, 5-6 psi is where I started and IAT's were manageable on my daily driver (6000# leadsled)....

Once I pulleyed down, it was over.... I now log 13 psi on a 2 BAR OS with a non-intercooled blower, meth starts spray at 1 psi and goes full at 6 psi... I am still getting hammered at mid load due to IAT's prior to the spray... this sometimes cost me as much as 10* timing, but baby when the spray hits.... Hold on....

I am currently working to install an aftercooler on the truck to fix this....

Good Luck
Old 05-10-2007, 12:30 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great idea for the set-up. Dual stage boost controller let's you have fun DD'ing while not contantly boosting the engine and really up the ante when going on high boost setting when someone wants a piece of you. My meth only kick's in when I'm on the high boost setting that way I don't run it when I'm just screwing around getting somewhere fast.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:09 AM
Staging Lane

I start the Meth at 4PSI and let it max at about 8. I figure it is good insurance in case I get a bad tank of gas, I don't really need it, but I am glad it is there.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Remember that Methanol is not the ONLY option you have. I have had great success with denatured alcohol AND even 91% Isoprophyl Alcohol. This has been on a different setup and vehicle. But the Turbo Buick guys have been using water/meth/alky for years and years.

I have meth on my SS, but I had to swap out pipes because the injector is leaking a bit too much. *Thanks TRT* When I do fix it, I will play with some mixtures and figure out what the truck likes best. Methanol will always add that extra whomp of octane you need but nothing cools like water and alky. That is why I really liked using 91% isoprophyl in the GN when I drove it daily. It's mild mannered but really cools stuff down and allows me to turn the boost up to 24-26 psi range. But for our lower boost applications methanol may be the best bet.

When I get some time after the tranny has been fixed and the injector issue repaired I will try and make a post on what the SS seems to like best with this setup. Good luck and remember that your turn on point for a turbo application can be a bit tricky. If you spray too soon you may lower your EGTs just enough to cause a bit of power loss. Especially if you flood. What I mean is spraying way too much too soon. It's easy to feel it too. You'll know, good luck and I hope this helps a little.