FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

HX35 for a 5.3L?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HX35 for a 5.3L?

I have been looking at fabbing up a remote mounted turbo for my yukon xl, and hopefully give the 5.3 some much needed assistance. Looking at vatious turbos i was wondering how well would a hx35 from a 5.9 cummins work for a daily driver? With the smaller exhaust housing it would spool up quicker and give more boost at lower rpms, correct? The plans are to run about 5-7psi of boost, and the truck rarely sees anythign over 3500 rpms.

Another question is would it be feasable to use plastic pipes for the boost tubes either clear acrylic or pvc? With the plastic pipes they could be one piece from the intake to near the turbo and just have a short piece of aluminum pipe where it connects to the turbo. I thought it would be smoother compared to welded sections, and clear pipes would be something diffrent. Sorry for the noob questions, thank you for putting up with them, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

I am not sure what the specs are on the hx35, but I believe most of the STS kits use a larger exhaust housing than the same turbo would use in front mount arrangement. Do you plan to use an intercooler? I am sure the clear tubing would work for a while, but it might not be the best material for long term durability. You will need to consider what tuning and fuel system is required once you fab all your pipes and oil lines and get it running. There is also a return oil pump needed from the turbo because the turbo is mounted lower than the oil pan. Good luck with whatever you decide, I always like to see home-fab projects.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

I could not find a flow chart on holset's website, but a friend of mine has a hx35 from his ram that would be dirt cheep. For an intercooler, one under the passanger side with e-fans would be installed. Steel oil lines would be ran to the back from the oil cooler and a return pump would be installed. For fueling 44# injectors and maybe a inline pump installed at the fuel filter. Tuning would be done with efi live unless there is a good tuner in vegas.

It is either this or trade it in for a 2500 suv with quadrasteer either 6.0 or 8.1, but then I would have to pay the price diffrence, taxes, registration, and a higher gas bill. Quadrasteer really shounds convincing but I really do not think it is worth it at the moment.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i beleive they use a smaller turbine housing on the exhaust side to compensate for some lag. but im not sure just what i have been reading. i think it will do fine- guy who owns, junkyardturbos.com used a hx-35 on his LS1 5.7L custom remote mount- and it did fine so i think it flow plenty