FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

hypothetical blower vs. turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hypothetical blower vs. turbo question

im weighing pros and cons of blower vs. turbo. i can get a 76mm turbo kit from Trick for signifcantly less than what a Whipple or TVS kit would cost.

my truck is in sig below. obviously has a 6.2L.

the hypothetical question is what kind of ballpark hp numbers would i make with a 76mm turbo kit on 8 lbs, and what kind of ballpark hp would i make with a whipple or tvs kit on 8 lbs? The truck is BONE STOCK and assume everything else is the same for both situations.

Since the turbo kit is cheaper, then it makes sense to go that direction if i can make at or near the same power with the turbo.

For reference, this is my dd and i wont be looking for crazy power with it ever. just looking for a little more power and fun. whatever hp it makes with either kit, it makes. Not looking for much more than that.

opinions?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The turbo will make a bit more power due to less parasitic drag. At 8lbs you wont be turning either compressor very hard so the power difference wouldnt be all that much. Once you start turning them harder the difference between the two will get wider in the turbos's favor. You also wont have the instant boost that the blower will give you either though. Depends on how you want the power delivered. A 76mm on a 6.2 wont have that much lag though, especially from a roll.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

i know it depends on the tune, fuel setup, etc.... but IN GENERAL was is the safe boost/hp threshold for the 6.2? 10lbs? 12lbs? 450hp? 500hp?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by drummer0415
im weighing pros and cons of blower vs. turbo. i can get a 76mm turbo kit from Trick for signifcantly less than what a Whipple or TVS kit would cost.

my truck is in sig below. obviously has a 6.2L.

the hypothetical question is what kind of ballpark hp numbers would i make with a 76mm turbo kit on 8 lbs, and what kind of ballpark hp would i make with a whipple or tvs kit on 8 lbs? The truck is BONE STOCK and assume everything else is the same for both situations.

Since the turbo kit is cheaper, then it makes sense to go that direction if i can make at or near the same power with the turbo.

For reference, this is my dd and i wont be looking for crazy power with it ever. just looking for a little more power and fun. whatever hp it makes with either kit, it makes. Not looking for much more than that.

opinions?
A general rule of thumb is that you get 20hp from every pound of boost you run. I was in the same situation as you and realized that I could purchase a complete turbo kit, a tune, injectors, and a 4l80e for the same price as just the blower kit.

I went with a turbo and am glad that I did so. Each have benefits, but I prefer the turbo since changing boost levels is a simple turn of a ****. The kit installed in a few days doing a couple of hours of work a day. I haven't had any problems with mine and enjoy towing with it.

Just some food for thought.

I also would recommend any of the turbo sponsors on this board as they all make good kits, but my kit was from Rick (trick) and he is a top notch guy with EXTREMELY good service before and after the sale. He is there for you day and night to help you whenever your installing your kit and also will promptly ship you replacement parts if something is wrong in the kit. My blow off valve was hitting my triple alternator bracket and he shipped me pipes to relocate it same day!

Originally Posted by drummer0415
i know it depends on the tune, fuel setup, etc.... but IN GENERAL was is the safe boost/hp threshold for the 6.2? 10lbs? 12lbs? 450hp? 500hp?
I don't have any personal experience with the 6.2, but from what I have read it seems that any ls based engine will be very reliable up to ~10 lbs in stock form as long as your tune is good.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Keep the RPM down and you can run more than 10 and be reliable. He does have a good point being able to get a lot more parts buying a turbo than you can buying a blower...
Old 01-25-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

a good tuner will lower the timing and let you goet more boost, in some cases it can help the turbo be in a better spot on the map...
if you like to mess with the truck I say turbo
if you like to close the hood and drive it all the danm time, then I say some type of supercharger.
Dont forget if you go turbo you will need some tuning software and a wideband to 'watch' every thing, I dont think its as necessary with a S/C
Old 01-25-2012, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OnyxSilveradoSS
a good tuner will lower the timing and let you goet more boost, in some cases it can help the turbo be in a better spot on the map...
if you like to mess with the truck I say turbo
if you like to close the hood and drive it all the danm time, then I say some type of supercharger.
Dont forget if you go turbo you will need some tuning software and a wideband to 'watch' every thing, I dont think its as necessary with a S/C
if/when i go FI, i am planning to add a wideband with gauge, boost gauge, and fuel pressure gauge.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comparing the two, a pound of boost hp wise is pretty much a pound of boost until you get over 8psi (or there abouts). A turbo will give more hp per lb of boost over 8 to 10 psi. P/d blower will give more smiles per lb of boost under that. Turbo has way more upside if you're after big power numbers. Drive one of each and decide which one you like. I'm guessing that, in Austin, there's an example of each. How YOU like it is all that really matters
Old 01-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

We can play with turbo housing to get more down low in the rpm band. Ball bearing turbos are another options.
I lean towards the turbo for everyday driving.
Air to air coolers we use control air temps.

Very easy to get more out if them later in life.
Being on a stock 6.2 the 76 is a good match.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:25 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Either way you go its gonna be addicting and lots of fun.

My advice like others is get your parts from a reputable shop that offers good support like our sponsors here do,

And do lots of reading on both, lots of examples of both here.

Me , I want a truck with each setup, that would be the best of both worlds!!

( I kinda do, my Dmax has a turbo and i love it!)

Dont forget supporting mods needed also.

Quick Reply: hypothetical blower vs. turbo question