FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

I am Spoolin Again!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:21 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
That's an incredibly nice turbo kit. Did you build it yourself Curt?
No, I wish I had those type skills. I can't get the tig welding down. I do custom exhaust, the guy that built it worked for me at the time...he has his own shop now.
And I'm retired...only do it when I want to..can't seem to stop.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:15 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I remember looking at your setup when you were doing my exhaust and thinking to myself, "what kind of voodoo magic is this?"
Old 04-29-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
What dry sump are you planning on going with? I wasn't aware a dry sump pump could pull vacuum on the crankcase and pump oil? If an oil pump is sucking crankcase gasses then it won't be pumping oil. Or are you planning on running a vacuum pump in addition to a dry sump?
Todd, With a dry sump, you usually have 2-3 stages of pump sucking oil out of the pan and pumping it back to the tank and 1 stage pumping oil to the bearings. Since the 2-3 stages are more then are needed, they suck a lot of air since they are gear pumps. When you seal up a motor really good with no PCV, then it creates vac inside the motor as if you had a vac pump on it. All our NASCAR motors were this way.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:49 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice looking kit!!! You have 9sec potental there. That Gt42 will murder my Tc76
Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Spoolin, I hate it for you. This kit has been known to lift head gaskets and blow out freeze plugs. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Todd, With a dry sump, you usually have 2-3 stages of pump sucking oil out of the pan and pumping it back to the tank and 1 stage pumping oil to the bearings. Since the 2-3 stages are more then are needed, they suck a lot of air since they are gear pumps. When you seal up a motor really good with no PCV, then it creates vac inside the motor as if you had a vac pump on it. All our NASCAR motors were this way.
Sweet! So is the LS7/9 setup this way too? That seems to be the easiest way to adapt one to our trucks. Of course you'd probably have to run vette accessories too. I've seen Moroso vac pumps on a lot of drag cars, but I thought all they do is pull crankcase gasses. It would sure be nice to get some crankcase vacuum going on without having to use the scavange affect from my exhaust....it gets old.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
Spoolin, I hate it for you. This kit has been known to lift head gaskets and blow out freeze plugs. Good luck.
so what your saying is your jealous of the power he can make lol? jk
Old 04-29-2010, 10:04 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
What dry sump are you planning on going with? I wasn't aware a dry sump pump could pull vacuum on the crankcase and pump oil? If an oil pump is sucking crankcase gasses then it won't be pumping oil. Or are you planning on running a vacuum pump in addition to a dry sump?
Ummm...yeah, what Kyle said!

Also, I saw a couple motors that were built by kenny Dutweiller at his shop that were running a dry sump system and I told him of my plan to run a belt driven vacuum pump off the motor and he kinda re-organized my thinking on how to properly get the vacuum I needed for a street driven car in a better way. Basically one system alone can't get the necessary vacuum but a combination of a few or tweaking a Dry-sump system will work. Also I have a few turbo/engine building books laying around that talk about it in more detail. Trick is to find a system or small combination of a system that will be reliable on the street.
Oh, and don't think that the ZR1 pulls that much vacuum on their pump though, in stock configurations they are doing much less than what can be done with them.

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Originally Posted by stock48
Very nice looking kit!!! You have 9sec potental there. That Gt42 will murder my Tc76
No dry humping of my parts you pervert!! I'm gonna put a dog collar on you, Kyle warned me about you, my PM box is going insane with the amount of warnings I'm getting from kyle about what kinda of sex offender you are...

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
Psssssshhhhhhh, who needs freeze plugs and head gaskets anyways! I'm gonna do like Porsche Racing and weld my heads on.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

any updates there bud? Build sounds awesome, your truck is ****
Old 09-23-2010, 03:16 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Updates are...
I just got back from a 5 month stint overseas so I haven't been able to do anything on the truck since early May.
However, truck is on jackstands and completely torn apart. Engine's been at JFRacing engines since early summer and I should hopefully have it back in my possession in a week or so after being rebuilt, specs on the motor will follow once I get it back.
Starting this weekend I will start work on the truck again, I am pulling the whole fuel system and starting from scratch, after which I will be cleaning and re-assembling this truck from top to bottom.
I just bought a new DD so finishing this truck as fast as possible is not necessary anymore. I hope to have it up and running by Christmas, I still have lots of research and purchasing to do.

Quick Reply: I am Spoolin Again!!