FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Is a IAT gauge worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 01:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is a IAT gauge worth it??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Is this gauge worth the 55bucks... I dont have any logging software to tell if the IAT's are getting up..

Is this a good investment..

I am probably going to be getting meth from the same person...

Since they are close to where I am.. I wont have to pay shipping...
Old 08-03-2005, 01:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also has anyone used this kit, and is it any good!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WATER...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from everything i have read about meth. the best and most accurate system
is the snow boost cooler. they have recently added a new kit that sprays
based on mass air flow readings. however our maf's read in hz. and they have
a new box to convert the signal. I love mine.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Have you looked at the AeroForce gauge? Pretty cool toy that lets you look at all kinds of stuff, including IAT. It gets it's info from the ODBII interface. You can pick any two items to display at the same time. Great for doing some everyday monitoring of soemthing you are curious about.

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/
Old 08-17-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Cammino3
I just ordered my meth kit from alky control, Julio is very helpfull, He wouldn't let me get things that I thought I needed but really didn't
Mark
Old 08-17-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Cammin pm me on what you end up getting. I've been looking for an air intake temp gauge and was hoping to find an electronic with a needle instead of the digital so it matches my boost gauge and fuel pressure but Stewart Warner does not have one on their site. The Aeroforce gauge seems to do allot more than I need but it may be on option.
What brand was the gauge that you saw on e-bay?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

What a coincidence! I came across that exact gauge too Cammin'.

Anyway that aeroforcetech looks like one bad *** piece. I'm considering using that instead of the 3 gauges I was going to buy. It's not a bad price either considering it data logs and clears trouble codes too.

Hey David, did you run into any parameters that weren't supported with your truck? It says that with the "Vortec 4800", the TPS isn't supported. Why wouldn't it be if it is for the 5.3's and 6.0's? Also does your boost read in psi?

Last edited by vanillagorilla; 08-17-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:54 AM
Launching!

I must admit, I have not looked at every parameter it can display. I have found it most useful for looking at timing, knock retard, coolant and trans temps and intake air temp. Pretty basic things, but it is great to be able to change what is displayed as needed. Like showing the trans temp while towing.

That is odd about the TPS not supported on the 4800. I looked in the manual to find what you are referring to. It says "throttle voltage' is not supported on the 4800. I wonder it that is TPS or the voltage sent to the electronic throttle? (throttle by wire)? It would make more sense if it was related to the electronic throttle, as mechanical linkages may still be used on the 4800.

No, it does not display boost, otherwise I would have pounced on the dual gauge option and replaced my mismatched mechanical boost gauge. The Intercepter only knows what the vehicles PCM knows and has sensors to acquire. So the stock vacuum sensor only reads a tiny bit of boost (probably enough to cover Death Valley). So the boost from an aftermarket supercharger is beyond it's ability to sense.

The only criticisms I have on the Intercepter are :
*The screen is too bright at night in 'positive' mode, but negative mode is not as easy to read in bright sun light. You can change from one mode to the other, but it is too much hassle when you need to change it twice a day. I just leave it in negative mode. I just was looking at the manual, and there is a dimmer setting I had not noticed. I think I will try setting the backlight dim in positive mode and see how that works.
*The buttons, which feel cheap, wobbly and take some practice to operate without accidentally getting more pushes than you intend.

But these quibbles aside, it is great fun and a flexible tool. For instance, lately I have been monitoring my trans temps to see how effective my new transmission cooler is. Buying and installing a gauge just for that would be too much hassle and expense. But I can just pop it up on the Intercepter and observe the range of temps under various driving conditions and get an idea how well it is working for me. And when I tire of trans temps, I can change over to some other item that has captured my curiosity.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Very cool! Thanks!
Old 08-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Teching In

I'm running this gauge. I do know that it give me throttle % not sure about volts. I would rather look at the % anyway. I can back up the previous reveiw and yes try the dimmer. I backed mine down to 8 on the dimmer menu and have no problems reading it day or night. I've been very impressed with the gauge. I especially like watching timing and knock retard. Sure helps you get an idea on how your tuning is doing.