FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

IAT's with Procharger not under boost

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IAT's with Procharger not under boost

On the way to work this morning I decied to watch my iat's, mainly out of curiostiy since the air filter sits just above the driver side header. It was anywhere from 63-65 degrees this morning according to the outside temp guage. Iat's averaged 8-11 degrees above outside temp. I was pleasantly suprised it was that low considering the air filter location. I know this by no means is an indication what it will do under boost though.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

That does seem pretty good. Just driving around at those ambient temps I see low to high 90s for IATs with the STS Turbo. At +90* ambient I think I can see IATs as high as 130* or so just cruising around. We don't have too many 90* plus days here though.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

That is about the same I see. That is why I don't think relocating the filter is a big deal, because there isn't that much to gain. But, I hear the size of the filter (stock with the Procharger kit) is a big restriction. I plan on relocating just to be able to run a much larger filter. I think Bad Apple picked up 35 HP switching to the biggest K&N he could fit.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Instead of relocating the filter I may end up adding fans above the intercooler like I have seen in another post. I have also seen someone change out the inlet elbo with another one to run a larger filter. I may do this also, have it locate the filter slightly up inside my cowl hood.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:27 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by ranwalk
On the way to work this morning I decied to watch my iat's, mainly out of curiostiy since the air filter sits just above the driver side header. It was anywhere from 63-65 degrees this morning according to the outside temp guage. Iat's averaged 8-11 degrees above outside temp. I was pleasantly suprised it was that low considering the air filter location. I know this by no means is an indication what it will do under boost though.
Wow, I would have thought they would have been higher,thats good for the location. I'm glad your getting it all done...i guese you got your dual pumps in,that was fast. How much better does it feel than the whiple ?
Old 06-06-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CurtD
Wow, I would have thought they would have been higher,thats good for the location. I'm glad your getting it all done...i guese you got your dual pumps in,that was fast. How much better does it feel than the whiple ?
I'm still waiting on the pumps, so for now all I can do is drive it. I tried on WOT run and the fuel pressure jumped up to about 65psi, then shortly in to the run it started backing up on me, so I had to let off. I hope to have the pumps this week. My luck though, will probably be next week.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

I Checked it again going home. 88-90 degree outside temp, my Iat never got more than 10 degrees over outside temp. That really kind of blows my mind, also considering how the Procharger intercooler lays flat instead of standing up. Once I can make some WOT runs I will see how far the temps climb under boost.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Everyone told me I had to stand up the intercooler for it to work, but it lays down at about a 20* angle and works fine.

On a WOT run to 130mph, my IAT went to 140*, about 80* ambient. I was considering just adding an air dam or scoop at the backside to force a bit more airflow at speed.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:51 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Where is your IAT sensor located?
Old 06-06-2006, 07:14 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

those temps are great. mine setup with fmic is usually 2-8 degrees above ambient while tooling around with a little romping and about 10-15 * on high boost runs. Sounds like your kit is working well.

Quick Reply: IAT's with Procharger not under boost