FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Installed 90mm tb. Wont Run!! Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish I could help more, but from here it's a tough battle. It sounds like you've checked everything that you can. Does your truck have factory traction control?
Old 03-08-2006, 03:41 PM
High on diesel fumes

Don't know what to say to help, but here's a description of all the codes to make it easier for others to help...

P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1
P0174 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2
P1120 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1 Circuit
P1220 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 2 Circuit
P1258 - Engine Coolant Overtemperature - Protection Mode Active
P1516 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance
P1518 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Serial Data Circuit

Here's a great list
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t411103.html

Looks to me like you might not have an isolated incident, is it possible that there is a wiring harness that could have been damaged?

Last edited by thunder550; 03-08-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:21 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

P1120 & P1220- TP Sensor 1 & Sensor 2 are both out of range.
P1515- Reported TP does not match predicted TP
P1518-loss of communication between TAC and PCM(see below)

"DTC P1518
Circuit Description

The throttle actuator control (TAC) module and the powertrain control module (PCM) communicate via a dedicated serial data circuit. This serial data circuit is separate from any other serial data circuit on the vehicle. Accurate transmitting and receiving of serial data requires not only good circuit integrity but also adequate system voltage. This diagnostic test monitors the accuracy of the serial data transmitted between the TAC module and the PCM. If the PCM detects a loss of data or invalid data, this DTC sets.

Conditions for Running the DTC
  • The ignition switch is in the crank or run position.
  • The ignition voltage is greater than 5.23 volts.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
  • Invalid or missing serial data messages are detected for a predetermined amount of time.
  • All of the above conditions met for less than 1 second.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
  • The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame and/or the Failure Records.
  • The control module commands the TAC system to operate in the Reduced Engine Power mode.
  • A message center or an indicator displays Reduced Engine Power.
  • Under certain conditions the control module commands the engine OFF.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
  • The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
  • A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
  • Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids
  • DTC P1518 sets if the battery voltage is low. If the customer's concern is slow cranking or no crank because battery voltage is low, ignore DTC P1518. Clear any DTCs from memory that may have set from the low battery voltage condition.
  • DTC P1518 sets when there is a short to B+ on the TAC module ground circuit. Inspect the fuses for the circuits that are in the TAC module harness--i.e. cruise, brake. An inspection of the fuses may lead you to the circuit that is shorted to the TAC module ground circuit.
  • DTC P1518 sets if the TAC module ignition feed circuit is shorted to a B+ supply circuit. The TAC module stays powered-up when the ignition switch is turned OFF. When the ignition switch is turned ON, the TAC module is powered-up before the PCM. DTC P1518 sets because no communication is detected by the TAC module from the PCM. Inspect related circuits for being shorted to a B+ supply circuit.
  • Inspect the TAC module power and ground circuits and the TAC module/PCM serial data circuits for intermittent connections.
  • Inspect the TAC module connectors for signs of water intrusion. If water intrusion occurs, multiple DTCs may set without any circuit or component conditions found during diagnostic testing.
  • When the TAC module detects a problem within the TAC system, more than 1 TAC system related DTC may set. This is due to the many redundant tests run continuously on this system. Locating and repairing an individual condition may correct more than 1 DTC. Remember this if you review the stored information in Capture Info.
  • For an intermittent condition, refer to Intermittent Conditions . "
Old 03-08-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is just a gut feeling hunch but since yours is a 02 (bastard year for DBW) maybe for 03 they changed the TAC module slightly but didn't change the part #. The reason they may not have changed the part # is because the newer one may be compatible with yours, yet yours isn't compatible with 03+. I would personally spend the money on a new TAC module before I started drinking too much over it
Old 03-08-2006, 05:14 PM
High on diesel fumes

But would a problem with the TAC explain the Coolant Over-Temp and Fuel Trim System Lean codes? That almost makes me think he has a damaged wiring harness.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The coolant over temp code may have been in there for a while as I threw the belt a couple weeks ago and it got hot. It ran just fine prior to doing this tb change so I can't think that I have a damaged harness and the harness from Speartech was sent back and checked out carefully by John Spears himself.

DrX's post provides a lot of information but I can't discern anything that I'm supposed to do now. Does anybody see anything in that information that I can do?
Edit: rereading DrX's post... I see now that diagostic aids are given. I could check the fuses. Also it appears to suggests that there may be a short in the TAC circuit. According to the plug template that Tex posted at the beginning of this thread the yellow and brown wires govern the TAC and those wires on this 02 model dbw setup are the only two in a plug that went into the passenger side of the stock tb. I can check to see if there is a problem with the new plug mating with the old.

Zippy... Yes I do have traction control but the truck hasn't been moved. Why do you ask?

Mark.... hmmmm, could be.

It throws those codes every time. 1120, 1220, 1516 and 1518. Over and over. I clear the codes. It starts and runs fine. Shut off, try to restart and it won't start. The codes above are right back. Doesn't common sense dictate that it has to be within the tb and the tac? The stock harness worked fine before and the new harness works fine now so it's gotta be the new tb or the old tac? What else is there? What am I missing? I guess I try the new TAC and then we'll see.

What TAC do I move to? The 03?

Will this cause any problems with the pcm recognizing the TAC? Does the new tb have to be recoginized by the pcm? .... or does that kinda filter through the TAC. Like... the pcm recognizes the TAC and then the TAC governs the tb?

Thanks Jim

Last edited by JimS; 03-08-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:13 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Per your earlier post:
Looking at the Speartech plug that goes into the tb, per the pic you have provided, top row left to right the colors are green, yellow, brown. Bottom row; pink, purple, blue.
OK, those wires you referred to, were these the color of the wires on the speartech harness?

Your factory harness has two connectors right? One is the motor control with the brown and yellow wires, those are good. The other is dealing with the throttle position sensors and it has six wires. They are:

GREY - +5v reference
BLACK - Low reference
GREEN - TP Sensor #1
Lt BLUE/black stripe - +5v reference
BLACK/White stripe - Low reference
PURPLE - TP Sensor #2

Lets ignore the yellow and brown wires on the harness and focus on the remaining 4 wires - green, pink, purple, and blue (from your above quote). I'm assuming those are the colors of the speartech harness (STH from now on). Can you confirm that the purple on the STH connects to the purple on the factory harness? Same thing for the GREEN and BLUE wires. Since your stock harness doens't have a pink wire, what color does it connect to?

I have a feeling you have a little cross wire mojination going on with the STH.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigTex
Per your earlier post:
OK, those wires you referred to, were these the color of the wires on the speartech harness?

Your factory harness has two connectors right? One is the motor control with the brown and yellow wires, those are good. The other is dealing with the throttle position sensors and it has six wires. They are:

GREY - +5v reference
BLACK - Low reference
GREEN - TP Sensor #1
Lt BLUE/black stripe - +5v reference
BLACK/White stripe - Low reference
PURPLE - TP Sensor #2

Lets ignore the yellow and brown wires on the harness and focus on the remaining 4 wires - green, pink, purple, and blue (from your above quote). I'm assuming those are the colors of the speartech harness (STH from now on). Can you confirm that the purple on the STH connects to the purple on the factory harness? Same thing for the GREEN and BLUE wires. Since your stock harness doens't have a pink wire, what color does it connect to?

I have a feeling you have a little cross wire mojination going on with the STH.
To tired to go to the garage tonight Tex. Still haven't gotten past the cold I've had for two weeks. Dr says this strain has been taking 2 to 3 weeks for most folks to kick it and I'm just worn out from all the coughing and ****. Going to bed.... screw that dammed truck for tonight.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Veteran

I was asking about the traction control since it was the only way to get the ETC at that time. Just making sure your truck was supposed to have an ETC.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjhoward
This is just a gut feeling hunch but since yours is a 02 (bastard year for DBW) maybe for 03 they changed the TAC module slightly but didn't change the part #. The reason they may not have changed the part # is because the newer one may be compatible with yours, yet yours isn't compatible with 03+. I would personally spend the money on a new TAC module before I started drinking too much over it

If I change the TAC which one should I go to? Will this change make for a problem between the TAC and the pcm? Will the pcm have to be reprogramed to recognize an 03 TAC.

I guess if I order the same part number TAC but stipulate it's for an 03 truck that should maybe get a TAC that the tb will recognize?

Wait. The pcm is recognizing the TAC. How can the TAC be the problem? Doesn't the problem have to be either the harness or the tb?

Quick Reply: Installed 90mm tb. Wont Run!! Help please.