FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Installed 90mm tb. Wont Run!! Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrX
The TP codes will put you into Reduced Engine Power mode. The vehicle will have very limited power and no response to accelerator pedal position. It will shake, rattle and die if you try to let it idle. From what I recall, the vehicle has to be turned off for X amount of time for REP to clear on its own or you can clear the codes manually as you have done, before it can be started again.

Here are the OEM wire colours as they match up to the LS2 connector oriented as shown previously. You can trace the wires in the STH to see if they mate the proper pins up with these wires in the OEM harness.

black/yellow/brown
purple/blue/green

the black/w and grey OEM wires are not used for the LS2

I sent the tb and the harness to Speartech for testing so I can't trace wires and colors for a while.

I'm wondering if tsystem with the old style tb using the two plug system was ever physically tested with the 90mm tb and his harness or if the wiring blueprint was used to devise the harness and was seen to work in theory but never physically tested with the old style harness and plugs.

I'm going to ask John if he can hook up the 90mm tb I sent him to the 2 plug harness and see if it works.

Have to wait and see what he discovers.

Last edited by JimS; 03-09-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good news! Got an email from John Spears last night. He put that tb on one of his engines and it is defective!! I'll be ordering one up first thing! Maybe this saga has an ending in sight!

The REALLY good news is that it was not somehow my screw up. I know so dammed little about this new technology that when something that is supposed to work doesn't work this little germ of doubt about my part in it can't help but start growing in the back of my head. Thanks to those who were encouraging throughout this mess. I needed that.

I'll post up when it's up and running and now maybe we can get on with the headers, heads, cam, meth, and of course the ever popular and not to be forgotten mjhoward heat exchanger install.

Zippy.... I was beginning to think maybe I wasn't going to be able to make our date 3 weeks from now. Looks like we're back on schedule!

Later Jim
Old 03-11-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Great news Jim! You'll be tearing parts up in no time!
Old 03-11-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good deal Jim. I've been following this post closely, had nothing to offer other than moral support so I just kept quite. Anyway I'll be doing the 90mm soon, glad guys like you are posting up your experience. It will help when I do mine.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:40 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Finished mine up today. Looks like my harness was OK. Tried switching those 2 wires(C & E) to see what would happen. It was just as you described. Pretty well same codes. Takes 15 sec or so for REP mode to clear on its own. I did get a code P2101. Turned out the throttle plate was sticking when in the fully closed position. Had to loosen and retighten it. It's a very tight fit. Time for some tuning when the roads dry up around here. Nice coat of ice today. Idles really smooth and seems to respond well to accelerator pedal position.
Attached Thumbnails Installed 90mm tb. Wont Run!! Help please.-fuel-module-001.jpg   Installed 90mm tb. Wont Run!! Help please.-fuel-module-017.jpg   Installed 90mm tb. Wont Run!! Help please.-fuel-module-018.jpg  
Old 03-12-2006, 07:00 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=JimS

Zippy.... I was beginning to think maybe I wasn't going to be able to make our date 3 weeks from now. Looks like we're back on schedule!

Later Jim[/QUOTE]
Looks like someone else is going to see the DOCTORS ! you wont be dissapointed, these guys do A+ work!
Old 03-12-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Looks like someone else is going to see the DOCTORS ! you wont be dissapointed, these guys do A+ work!
Yep. I just don't feel competent to do all the install of the cam, heads, meth kit, and especially the tuning, all by myself. I can do the "wrenching" but getting it to run and run right is so much different than it was in 1962 that I'm better off getting help in case something goes wrong... like in the case of this tb with me being out here in the boondocks with no help available.

So I'm driving up on the 29th or 30th to see them. Zippy hasn't said that I can or can't help. Hope they'll let me in on the action. I don't want to just hire it all done but I do need help.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrX
Finished mine up today. Looks like my harness was OK. Tried switching those 2 wires(C & E) to see what would happen. It was just as you described. Pretty well same codes. Takes 15 sec or so for REP mode to clear on its own. I did get a code P2101. Turned out the throttle plate was sticking when in the fully closed position. Had to loosen and retighten it. It's a very tight fit. Time for some tuning when the roads dry up around here. Nice coat of ice today. Idles really smooth and seems to respond well to accelerator pedal position.
Nice looking setup! Very clean adaptation.

When you changed the wires did it run right but then throw the codes when you tried to restart?

I ordered another tb from WCCH and it's supposed to be shipped overnight on Monday so I should be up and running Tues night or Wed. I won't believe it's fixed until it's running so I'm still nervous.

FYI: John Spears told me in no uncertain terms that they physically test every item they sell before it gets shipped out.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:45 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JimS
When you changed the wires did it run right but then throw the codes when you tried to restart?
I think it threw the codes right after starting and went into REP mode. Didn't want to restart right away. If I tried restarting after waiting a bit it would start but go into REP mode right away again. When the blade was sticking it ran OK until I started playing with the accelerator pedal to open and close the TB quickly.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:47 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JimS
Yep. I just don't feel competent to do all the install of the cam, heads, meth kit, and especially the tuning, all by myself. I can do the "wrenching" but getting it to run and run right is so much different than it was in 1962 that I'm better off getting help in case something goes wrong... like in the case of this tb with me being out here in the boondocks with no help available.

So I'm driving up on the 29th or 30th to see them. Zippy hasn't said that I can or can't help. Hope they'll let me in on the action. I don't want to just hire it all done but I do need help.
These guys are awesome, I got there,and T.J. and his freind Shaun had my tranny out in less than 1 1/2 hour. Zippy (with a little help from Evan) had my trans built in a couple of hours, MY cam was a last min decision,and T.J. had it done with valvesprings in less than 4 hours and we we taking time in btween to eat and check out P.T. net and LS1 tech!!I just cant say enough about the Doctors. THEY ARE THE BEST! ,AND they didnt mind me watching them work or helping out when needed. I feel like my truck was on steroids when i left, the trans absolutley KICKS ***! and I absolutley love the cam!. T.J. showed me around and my wife and I had the time of our life hangin out . I'll definitley be going back for dyno time and a little hangin out. YOUR gonna love your truck on the trip home!

Quick Reply: Installed 90mm tb. Wont Run!! Help please.