FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Installed 90mm tb. Wont Run!! Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
is this weekend when all your stuff goes in? you putting that thing on the dyno?
I leave Tuesday to go 350 miles to Muskegon Mi. to see Zippy and install a Zippy trans & tune along with my Dart heads, cam, meth kit, 34" radiator, e fan, mjhoward huge heat exchanger, headers y pipe and cutout, Katech rod bolts, wb a/f guage, msd tach/shift light. Taking it there allows me to have expert help but be able to do some of the work myself. Can't want to just hire it done..... gotta be part of it. It's no fun to have folks ask about the build and have to admit I didn't do any of it... except the sc and tb. So I'm really looking forward to meeting Zippy and getting down to it!

I don't know when I'll be able to do a dyno run or even if I'll think it's worth the $$. There's no place around here with a dyno with people that I KNOW are competent so that would mean taking the truck to the Chicago suburbs. My daughters and grandkids live up there so I might do that.

If the truth were known I'd have to own up to being kinda nervous about doing the dyno.... what if the results are not what I want to see? Then I'd be bummed and would be forced to go to the local community college and take a course in engine building so I can build a 402 with the instructors supervison and put all my "stuff" on it. But I'll probably HAVE to know what it's putting down. I'll have to know if it's 500rwhp or not so I can brag to all the locals at the cruise night gatherings. Maybe put a sign in the window.

Later Jim

Last edited by JimS; 03-24-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JimS
I leave Tuesday to go 350 miles to Muskegon Mi. to see Zippy and install a Zippy trans & tune along with my Dart heads, cam, meth kit, 34" radiator, mjhoward huge heat exchanger, headers y pipe and cutout, Katech rod bolts, wb a/f guage, msd tach/shift light.

I don't know when I'll be able to do a dyno run of even if I'll think it's worth the $$. There's no place around here with a dyno with people that I KNOW are competent so that would mean taking the truck to the Chicago suburbs. My daughters and grandkids live up there so I might do that.

If the truth were known I'd have to own up to being kinda nervous about doing the dyno.... what if the results are not what I want to see? Then I'd be bummed and would be forced to go to the local community college and take a course in engine building so I can build a 402 with the instructors supervison and put all my "stuff" on it. But I'll probably HAVE to know what it's putting down. I'll have to know if it's 500rwhp or not so I can brag to all the locals at the cruise night gatherings. Maybe put a sign in the window.

Later Jim
If it makes you feel any better 450rwhp is 600 at the flywheel. You are old school so speaking in fwhp always puts a smile on my face since i'm still new to the rwhp thinking. You know back before there was such a thing as a chassis dyno
Well tuned properly, look what you have in yours and look at what blownchevy has. You MIGHT see 550rwhp but I wouldn't get your hopes up!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm thinking if there's 15% to 20% powertrain parasitic loss I'll need about 630 hp at the crank to get me the 500 rwhp I want. So that's in the neighborhood of 2 hp per cubic inch and that sounds like a LOT to this "old school" dude .

Anybody:
I forgot to get a crank pulley pin kit from Magnuson. Is there a number to call to get someone that will be SURE to overnight it to me so I'll have it Monday? I'll be calling the number in their link in a couple hours but just wondering if there's a "special" number for us "special" folks.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Glad it all worked out....who would have thought that a TB would have been bad.
That's the last thing I thought of. I figured it was me..... knowing my level of competance, or level of incompetance . But it got to the point to where that was the only possible source of the problem. We knew the TAC and all the wiring worked just fine before I tore it down and we knew the harness was right so.....

Speartech really saved the day by being willing to test it for me. He never hesitated and didn't even ask for shipping $$.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:41 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JimS
That's the last thing I thought of. I figured it was me..... knowing my level of competance, or level of incompetance . But it got to the point to where that was the only possible source of the problem. We knew the TAC and all the wiring worked just fine before I tore it down and we knew the harness was right so.....
sometimes thats the way things go, not exactly the fun part of hot rodding.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moregrip
sometimes thats the way things go, not exactly the fun part of hot rodding.

Amen! Sure hope "things" don't go that way while I'm 350 miles away from home next week. But everything is pretty much straight forward mechanical change a part for another with these mods. No new electronic parts to stop the engine from running..... I hope (is there an smiley for "sweating it out"? Maybe )