FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Installed Roush S/C now I have issues...? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Roush S/C now I have issues...? HELP!

Ok so I installed my Roush s/c on my 2008 5.3 Silverado (non-flex fuel). 2 weeks prior I installed ARH catted y-pipe long tubes. Got custom tune via Autocal from Blackbear. Everything went well with install of s/c and I used the GM sensor/pigtail required with the kit. I didn't use the oem intake gaskets because I had a brand new set of Fel-Pro gaskets. I used NGK TR6 spark plugs gapped at .035. The truck fired up on the first try once the fuel rails/injectors filled with fuel. While the truck runs ok, it just isn't 100%. In the mornings it is very hard to start. I have to turn it over many, many times to get it to run, like it is starved for fuel. Then once it does finally start, it has a very rough idle for a minute or so, then smooths out. If I go to work and get out in the afternoon, it will fire right up and smell very rich and idle on the high side. Then there is a high idle/surging issue. If I let of the gas to come to a stop, my rmps stay up about 1200ish and I need to stand on the brakes so not to rear end the car in front of me. In reverse on level ground, I really don't need to give it gas because of the high idle. Now on to the acceleration side of things. During take offs, wether it be light/medium/hard acceleration, it will stumble for a moment before it goes. This is not a constant issue on light throttle, but almost always on hard acceleration and tends to be worse when its cold at all throttle positions. Sometimes if I tach it up in park it will go to 3000+ rpms and stay there and I have to shut the truck off. Everything seems to point a vaccuum leak somewhere but I can't find one. I did throw a p1400 code, but that only happend the on the 1st few start ups. I've been driving the truck for week back and forth to work. It's about a 25 mile round trip and about 50/50 city/highway drive. On the highway it's a dream to drive. Right now I guess my biggest issues are the cold starts and the hesitation/stumble upon acceleration. I'm going to go for a drive today and data log for Blackbear and hopefully he can help me out. I'm just looking for some input that may help me out or point me in the right direction. Sorry for the long post, just trying to provide as much info as possible. So if anyone has anything to contribute, please share. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Do you have a wideband? Boost guage? Fuel Pressure gauge?? If so how are they reading when all this is happening?

Sounds like the tune needs some more work. Where do you live? Is there a good difference in temps from morning to afternoon? This could explain the idle issues. I know my start up idle settings needed to be changed once winter hit cause we just kinda guessed on some of the colder temp settings.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:41 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

All sounds easily fixable with a tune.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so after a few emails back and forth with Blackbear, he seems to think the problem lies in the GM sensor that has to be purchased seperately. He stated that most of the Roush supercharger owners use the stock sensor. While this is good info and points me in a positive direction, I have no clue where to begin, or how to accomplish this. So if anyone has this info or can give me some details on how this is done, I would greatly appriciate it. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:19 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

What specific sensor?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

The GM sensor, duh!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
What specific sensor?
I believe he is talking about the TMAP sensor .
Old 04-10-2013, 04:20 AM
Staging Lane

Yes the TMAP SENSOR. Its the only GM sensor one has to purchase separately along with the Roush s/c. While I understand that guys with older trucks had to make certain modifications to make this kit work. My truck is 2008...which is what this kit is made for. If this won't work then why even put it in the instructions? Someone has to know something. My truck is extremely difficult to start...and getting worse. Along with the hesitation and stumble upon acceleration.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

I used the specific tmap sensor that was suggested by roush and have had 0 issues. If the tune is setup to use the stock sensor then I would assume that is your problem. I know dyno dan a member on this forum could probably give more information on what needs to be changed or pcm of nc tuned mine about a month ago and might be able to help.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Did you ever get it running right?

Quick Reply: Installed Roush S/C now I have issues...? HELP!