FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Intank fuel pump help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intank fuel pump help

Okay guys, i bought this intank Walbro F20000169 which was supposed to be a direct replacement for my truck......i thought. Here are some pics, i think i have the wrong pump . Unless there is something im missing. It is shorter, more narrow, and the inlets on bottom are different.
Attached Thumbnails Intank fuel pump help-img_1190.jpg   Intank fuel pump help-img_1192.jpg   Intank fuel pump help-img_1193.jpg   Intank fuel pump help-img_1194.jpg  
Old 02-25-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yup you will have to do some mods to make that pump fit. I don't think that there is a direct replacement for the stock pump. If you search you should find a couple of threads about the mods required to switch out the stock pump. I think you can try DrX for some pics and info. Magnuson may have a kit that they made up that might work in your truck. You may want to give them a call and see if they will sell you one. If not you might want to button it all back up and put in an inline pump which will work on your truck.

I got a Walbro GSL392 255lph plus a nice harness and 44# injectors from Racetronix . You will have to email them for information because they do online sales only.

Good luck with it and I hope it doesn't turn into too big a pain in the you know what.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

new plan, after a bunch of searching, looks like i would have to cut the bucket all up in order to make it work. I dont want to do that, so it lookslike i am going to have to eat the $115 and put the tank back together. Parish made a post saying that most stock (return type) fuel pumps are good to about 400RWHP, even with the supercharger I dont think i will be making quite that much, so i think i will roll the dice and see how it does. Worse case scenario, i will add an inline pump, or a voltage booster if i need it. To bad i wasted my day to find this out, but live and learn i guess.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Linda
new plan, after a bunch of searching, looks like i would have to cut the bucket all up in order to make it work. I dont want to do that, so it lookslike i am going to have to eat the $115 and put the tank back together. Parish made a post saying that most stock (return type) fuel pumps are good to about 400RWHP, even with the supercharger I dont think i will be making quite that much, so i think i will roll the dice and see how it does. Worse case scenario, i will add an inline pump, or a voltage booster if i need it. To bad i wasted my day to find this out, but live and learn i guess.
i did mine without cutting the cup. put the sock on the bottom. and wire tie the pump to the cup!
Old 02-25-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

thanks anyway, but there was just to many things that just didnt fit like i liked. No bucket recovery, sock didnt recess in the groove on the bottom, would have had to grind down the lip inside the bucket so the pump intake would stick through far enough, and the pump didnt fit snug at all. No biggie, it was fun dropping the tank by myself and spending all day for nothing...LOL.. . Oh well, guess what i have for sale....
Old 02-25-2006, 06:32 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with your plan. I think the voltage booster or an inline booster pump are the best route with your setup if you do need more fuel. That way you don't lose the functionality of the tank module. The inline is not an option on returnless systems like mine.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks DrX, i took i out for some play time today, and it is cruising at 59psi and jumps to about 62 at WOT. It holds its psi through the shifts without missing a beat. I think i will be fine with the stock pump for now.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:16 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Thanks DrX, i took i out for some play time today, and it is cruising at 59psi and jumps to about 62 at WOT. It holds its psi through the shifts without missing a beat. I think i will be fine with the stock pump for now.
Sounds good, and I see its pulling strong now too!
Old 02-25-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrX
Sounds good, and I see its pulling strong now too!

Definately!!

Is the 8.1 fuel pump the same as the small block pumps?
Old 02-25-2006, 11:00 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Is the 8.1 fuel pump the same as the small block pumps?
I'm not an expert on this. Just been doing some research. GM uses a lot of different modules. In 04 the 8.1 and small blocks all went to returnless systems. Looks like the 5.3s and 6.0s use different pumps. With the 6.0 module being better suited to a pump swap. I believe that the 6.0s use a pump similar to the one you purchased. Haven't seen what's in the tank for the 04 and up 8.1s.

Quick Reply: Intank fuel pump help