FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Intercooler in Avalanche

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007 | 07:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Intercooler in Avalanche

This is a 2005 Avalanche.The intercooler is a 3" 24x12 .Just pretty much dropped in with only cuting 2 tabs on the bumper.Also put in meth too for alittle extra.
Attached Thumbnails Intercooler in Avalanche-dsc03064.jpg   Intercooler in Avalanche-dsc03065.jpg   Intercooler in Avalanche-dsc03067.jpg   Intercooler in Avalanche-dsc03068.jpg   Intercooler in Avalanche-dsc03069.jpg  

Last edited by XLR8NSS; 08-04-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2007 | 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Looks good but I've been told that if you mount the intercooler ahead of the condensor that the heat off the intercooler prevents the condensor from cooling enough and makes your AC pressures too high and it doesn't cool as good. Doesn't seem like an intercooler would ever get that hot on a streetable engine but then again I don't really know. Either way nice clean install.
Old 08-04-2007 | 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats very nice looks like thats what I am going to need to do next.
Old 08-04-2007 | 08:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by oldred95
Looks good but I've been told that if you mount the intercooler ahead of the condensor that the heat off the intercooler prevents the condensor from cooling enough and makes your AC pressures too high and it doesn't cool as good. Doesn't seem like an intercooler would ever get that hot on a streetable engine but then again I don't really know. Either way nice clean install.
That can be true but we've never seen that problem before.Also you'll note that the intercooler blocks 1/3-1/2 of the radiator setup.This is so the condensor and radiator still have good flow.

Also the tranny cooler is still stuck in there.That is temp till the tranny gets built,then a bigger cooler will be put somewhere.
Old 08-04-2007 | 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

My intercooler almost completely blocks the condenser, and 80% blocks the radiator. My air conditioner works better than before the intercooler because I replaced the fan with electric ones. The engine coolant temperature is no different before or after.
Old 08-04-2007 | 11:01 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
My intercooler almost completely blocks the condenser, and 80% blocks the radiator. My air conditioner works better than before the intercooler because I replaced the fan with electric ones. The engine coolant temperature is no different before or after.

Me too... And I live in Orlando FL (at least until Tuesday!)

BTW looks good Don. Did I mention my wife's truck is an 06 Avalanche? lol
Old 08-05-2007 | 10:05 PM
Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
This is a 2005 Avalanche.The intercooler is a 3" 24x12 .Just pretty much dropped in with only cuting 2 tabs on the bumper.Also put in meth too for alittle extra.
Looks good,
Looks like your going to have a busy day....
Got any picks of the routing of IC hoses yet.?

Rick
Old 08-05-2007 | 10:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Looks good,
Looks like your going to have a busy day....
Got any picks of the routing of IC hoses yet.?

Rick
Just the cooler for now.Should have your kit here tomorrow. As for routing it can't get any easier from what I see.Both ends of the cooler is completely open,lot's of room to route the pipes.
Old 08-06-2007 | 12:16 AM
5 year bitches!

question...the tabs your removed are they the two that the bumper uses to mount to the frame? i know with my front end..[02] i have 6 bolts that secure the bumper. i was thinking of cutting the two so i can fit teh IC in there but was wondering if you had any issue with the bumper not be secure enough?
Old 08-06-2007 | 05:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Quik
question...the tabs your removed are they the two that the bumper uses to mount to the frame? i know with my front end..[02] i have 6 bolts that secure the bumper. i was thinking of cutting the two so i can fit teh IC in there but was wondering if you had any issue with the bumper not be secure enough?
Look at the first pic.The 2 gray looking tabs right under the bumper cover.I cut those off.They did absolutely nothing.I cut them just so they would not rub through the intercooler.You could leave them.

Quick Reply: Intercooler in Avalanche