FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

kb hot pipe install. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kb hot pipe install. Suggestions?

I am currently in the middle of installing my new hot pipe kit from Kbracing. I just got done removing all of my sts setup and I mocked up my manifold and the downpipe. I am very much a amateur at all of this stuff, so any comments or suggestions are more than welcome. Everything fits nice and tight. Very impressed with the builder!
Thanks Kyle!

The first things that come to mind is that the heater core lines need to be extended and moved. I planed on doing this after reading more than one post about this type of install. What the heck is the black ring on the heater hose that is holding the hose on? How do you disconnect the hose with the ring? I had planned on running the hoses out of the firewall and around to the fender and under the turbo to keep them clear of everything. Oh yeah, I wrapped all the hot pipes with the dei titanium header wrap.

Then, do any of you guys have any pics of your i/c piping running down to the i/c in the front bumper? It looks like it will pinch the hose from the thermostat to the radiator if you push it out of the way enough to run the piping straight down there, but this looks like the only alternative. I mounted a 31x12x3 ebay i/c in my front bumper. Worked great on my sts.

I have so many questions, just can't remember them all now. But I am hoping that I hit my goal with this new setup. I would like mid to low 12's. Low compression motor(8.8:1) forged, and built for boost. With a MP T76 .96ar. Got the 3 1/2inch downpipe and running a 4inch single exhaust with a single magnaflow muffler.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

On the heater hose with the molded ends, I just cut and use a couple inline splices to lengthen it. The other hose I just replace the whole thing. On the turbo, you can loosen the bolts on the back of the cover and clock (rotate) it to get it where it should clear your hoses. Looks good man!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like how that wrap turned out. WHat type of clamps did you use at the end of the wrap? And can you post bigger pics please?

Id think you could hit a high 10 with the stars aligned correctly. Someone already went 11.01 on a stock LQ9 and 76mm, Id imagine you could squeek out a hair more with the nicer motor of yours.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kbracing96
On the heater hose with the molded ends, I just cut and use a couple inline splices to lengthen it. The other hose I just replace the whole thing. On the turbo, you can loosen the bolts on the back of the cover and clock (rotate) it to get it where it should clear your hoses. Looks good man!
Yeah, that was kinda what I was thinking also for the heater hoses. I just didn't get the turbo all clocked the way I needed it in those pictures. I got it clocked tonight and the charge pipes I have been running were 3" to the i/c from the turbo and 3" to the motor from the i/c. I think the 3" charge pipe off the turbo to the i/c(with a 2 1/2 to 3" adapter of course) is kinda tight. Running it straight down kinda pinches the lower radiator hose. I am wondering if I should try to run 2 1/2 from the turbo to the i/c? Everything else is going great. Got the oil lines and the rest of the exhaust all mocked up and everything looks good!

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I really like how that wrap turned out. WHat type of clamps did you use at the end of the wrap? And can you post bigger pics please?

Id think you could hit a high 10 with the stars aligned correctly. Someone already went 11.01 on a stock LQ9 and 76mm, Id imagine you could squeek out a hair more with the nicer motor of yours.
I used quite a few of those stainless zip ties, but I also used actual hose clamps at the start and end of each run to hold the wrap tighter. Kinda tacky, but I am after function and you can't see them that well.

Well I am not looking to get into the 10's but you just never know, I want it to be as reliable as it is fast. But I am willing to push it a little. I am always fighting with fuel up here in Ak. I can only buy 90 octane at the pumps. So using the meth will hopefully make up the diffrence so I have no detonation at the high boost levels.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

i used stainless wire (twisted& clipped off) to hold mine on instead of clamps. less tacky and you hardly notice it
Old 11-09-2010, 12:39 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Amen on the shitty gas......
Old 11-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Looking good Kyle, let's see some bigger pictures!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matthew20061
Looking good Kyle, let's see some bigger pictures!

Agreed
Old 11-09-2010, 11:25 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by matthew20061
Looking good Justin, let's see some bigger pictures!
edited^^

And, I agree!! Justin, be sure to post up the differences you notice after you complete the upgrades.

Roger
Old 11-09-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I run 2 1/2 charge pipes from turbo to IC on everything up until I get to 88mm turbos.

Quick Reply: kb hot pipe install. Suggestions?