FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

kb hot pipe install. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AkSSS
You guys have any pictures? Just curious.
You need to clock the compressor housing first before you put the drain flange/return on.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chevybowtie
You need to clock the compressor housing first before you put the drain flange/return on.
Trust me, I tried that. Pretty much right where I need to clock the compressor to puts the oil return line(and fitting) in line with one of the compressor bolts. I am going to try to find some other fittings or just get a barbed fitting and use a 5/8 rubber line as the return.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:30 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

I would never use a rubber line as an oil line, much less with a barb connector; just sounds like trouble...
Old 11-28-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Atomic

I would never use a rubber line as an oil line, much less with a barb connector; just sounds like trouble...
yeah, your probably right. I will take the whole turbo into the hydrolic shop tomorrow and see if they have some type of fitting that will fit and can make it into a steel braided line.
I already have alot of time and money into this. I might as well do it right and get the right parts.
I am in no hurry to get this thing done, other than it is just sitting in the garage teasing me. Just trying to do this right. thanks for the help guys.
-Justin
Old 11-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Launching!

yeah, your probably right. I will take the whole turbo into the hydrolic shop tomorrow and see if they have some type of fitting that will fit and can make it into a steel braided line.
I already have alot of time and money into this. I might as well do it right and get the right parts.
I am in no hurry to get this thing done, other than it is just sitting in the garage teasing me. Just trying to do this right. thanks for the help guys.
-Justin
Did not notice your second set of pics.....Ya that second adapter is keeping you from doing anything. Go down and have a hydraulic shop make your lines for you like you said or get a 2" straight brass pipe from the hardware store to put that adapter futher down.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

It just dawned on me that "chevybowtie" is from eagle river. Kinda nice to see another Alaskan on here. thanks for the insight. I will tell ya what I find out tomorrow.
-Justin
Old 11-29-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Atomic

thats how my current and old turbo was. Its pushloc hose, not rubber hose on mine tho
Old 12-19-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Regular

Just to update this. I finally got everything put together and had my exhaust all finished up. Man. This is an awsome setup. Everytime I step on my truck, it seems to just want to GO! I wish it would warm up so I could stomp on it a little!?

There is definitly a few things that I would suggest or do diffrently. It is definitely harder to put the turbo blanket on when mounted in the truck.lol

I am hoping to hit the 11's with this thing this summer. We will see....
Old 12-20-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is definitly a few things that I would suggest or do diffrently. It is definitely harder to put the turbo blanket on when mounted in the truck.lol
What are your suggestions? I am listening and researching issues guys had with installs...
Old 12-21-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OnyxSilveradoSS
What are your suggestions? I am listening and researching issues guys had with installs...
Well all in all, everything is pretty easy. I had a hard time getting items that NO ONE had in my city(alaska doesn't have CRAP in stock).
The one thing that came to mind was the oil return. I had a hard time getting the right fittings and getting everything together with my turbo and a 10an line. I went with the #10 line because of our cold temps here and some of the problems that people have had. It is just a matter of getting the right fittings and flanges for your setup. I have some pics of mine I can dig up if you want. The oil pressure side is really easy to do also. I think I got a 64" 4an line to go from the oil cooler block to the turbo, and that was running it throught the intake manifold to help hide it.
I ended up buying the oil flanges off of ebay as a pair. They are billet aluminium and they were pretty good price and they look good too!
The exhaust ended up being the easiest part of the setup. The downpipe that came with the kbracing setup dumps in a perfect line pointing to the back up above the crossmembers. That made things Really easy, even running my 4" exhaust.
I had an sts setup before and I had to redo my intercooler charge pipe from the turbo to the i/c. I bought a alum. pipe kit from cxracing and used a chop saw to cut the pipes where I needed, to get the pipes ran to the i/c. I would have welded the pipes together but I don't have any friends that can weld aluminium. And the silicone couplers seems to hold together fine for now.
I wrapped all the hot side exhaust with titanium dei exhaust wrap. This was a VERY time consuming ordeal. It seems to be holding heat in pretty well, but I think if I had to do it again, I would probably use the regular dei exhaust wrap(in black) that you get wet and wrap since I think you can get it tighter and looks a little cleaner.
When putting things together I ran into some issues that hopefully I wasn't the only one that did some of these. I ended up pulling the turbo off multipule times to get things on. I bought a new filler neck(didn't have one) and mounted the crankcase breather on the filler neck. I couldn't get the filler neck onto the valve cover with the turbo mounted up. That one was pretty easy, I just pulled the coils and the valve cover and put the new neck on. I didn't put the right side O2 sensor in before I put the turbo on the manifold. It would be ALOT easier to do without the turbo on there(but it can be done). Then I had everything done and ready to go, and I realized the one thing that I forgot was the turbo blanket. That kinda sucks to get on with everything put together. I had to have the oil return fitting and line mounted to the turbo and kinda feed it all down through everything and along the frame rail to the oil pan.

I'm sure there is some other stuff, but that is all I can think of off the top of my head. The whole setup is actually really easy. I am NO professional mechanic, but I feel that this is a very well put together setup. All the hot pipes and manifold literally bolts right together. Very simple. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again, and I will suggest this setup to anyone asking.

Any questions, ask away when this is all fresh in my mind.

Quick Reply: kb hot pipe install. Suggestions?