FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

KB kit users: which spring did you go with on your BOV?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KB kit users: which spring did you go with on your BOV?

When I first got my kit it had the stiff spring in it..and I swapped it out for the light one to keep surge down and wear on Turbo... now with the light spring my bov stays wide OPEN at idle and of course closes as vacuum gets to 0 and then boost builds... I have no trouble boosting and it spools fast. But...... here is a theory where this may hurt me.

At launches... I can't leave on boost no matter what.. I'm thinking that the bov being open so easily with the weak spring that boost is bleeding out while trying to stall truck! Where as if bov was closed at idle like on stiff spring it would start building boost much sooner while stalling truck? Hope that made since somewhat LOL and could this be an issue?
Old 06-26-2011, 04:08 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Unless you've done something odd with your boost reference line to the BOV, your theory would be impossible. The reference line also sees boost when the turbo spools, so it should help keep the valve closed to prevent boost leaking out.

What exactly do you mean you can't leave in boost? Does it break loose first?
Old 06-26-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

i run the stiff spring and get no surge. even w/ light spring it should be shut while building boost. it shouln't build boost any faster w/ stiff spring.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah It breaks loose well before reaching boost... yeah I agree that it will close while building boost.. but I'm curious to see if it is staying open while Im trying to stall the truck since I never reach close to 0 in hg? May have to get buddy under Hood LOL while I stall it up!! But I'm curious if that is not my problem then what benefits does a light vs stiff spring have? Mine is obviously really light because it is wide open at idle.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Valve will be close once your vacuum is below the springs tention. Pushing through has more to do with the brakes not able to hold the power you are appling.

Simple test for you. Open the hood and have some one watch the bovwhile stalling.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

throw the stiff one in, see if it helps
Old 06-26-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

my wife likes the stiff one better too. lol
Old 06-26-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

I ran a softer spring than the one the KB cam supplied with. Never had a problem with it opening early. As long as your reference line is not kinked or something and its coming from the manifold, the force due to air pressure will be the same at open throttle. Then spring pressure will hold it shut.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

So some run stiff springs And some light ones.... some bov are closed at idle..some are open? So What is the benefits of running one spring or another..
Old 06-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

I just put the softer spring in to get a better bov sound. the stiff spring would give that pshhh sound. but i dont think i can stall my truck in boost either with that spring

Quick Reply: KB kit users: which spring did you go with on your BOV?